1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News up next?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Nov 10, 2016.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am going to show my age but when I was in high school in the early 70's I loved reading the columnists like Joe Falls and Furman Bisher. In that pre-internet era that was the only way I could read really good columnists. While Sports Illustrated was an awesome read it was really not covering the waterfront like SN.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    MTM and HanSenSE like this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm not that old :D but I'm old enough to remember when a surprise birthday gift subscription to TSN from my best friend's parents was the coolest gift ever. My roommate and I also subscribed to it in college. Along with Inside Sports. Fuck. This got depressing in a hurry.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I remember liking Stan Isle's columns best.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I still write for the college basketball and football yearbooks. I think they'll stick around.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Didn't TSN go in big on NASCAR right before it started to crater?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

TSN went big on NASCAR years ago. The first push was around 1998.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Falls was one of America's great food writers.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I thought The Sporting News died out years ago. That tells you what kind of presence they have. Only one baseball guy now? What's the point? Seriously, what is the point?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Found a stash of Sporting News issues from the 1970s in the archive room at work not long ago. Didn't get much done that day but it was worth it.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you got a ton done, just none of it work

Doc Holliday and Huggy like this.
  11. k8m4

k8m4 New Member

Former SNer with a fun fact: the yearbooks aren't published by SN anymore. ACBJ / Street & Smiths oversee editorial and production independently but the mags still carry the SN branding. Yes, quite the cluster.

12. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I'm not gonna name names, because losing your job is horrible, but one of their baseball guys they laid off, I found his Twitter super annoying to the point of turn-off. Super red-ass, too much political talk and bitching about needly first-world bullshit, not enough actual baseball.

Potter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted