1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Sep 23, 2009.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Anyone still reading this? I rediscovered it recently and I really, really like the look and feel ... Lots of info presented well, a nice national overview, lots of different things like player diaries, Q&A, profiles, etc.

I just wonder how it's doing and how readers are responding. It seemed there were a lot of negative reviews on these boards last year when it came out.

I wonder how a "zoned" edition might fare. Add a dozen or more pages (a B-section, if you will) focused on a particular city or region (i.e. SportingNewsToday/Dallas). That might drive the appeal more if you know you're getting more in-depth stuff for your area

Anyways, fire away...

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've had a subscription for a year or so now and read it once in a while, mostly for the college football, NFL stuff and late baseball stories I'm too lazy to look up online. It's OK but I usually don't have the time to print it out and read it every day.

I don't what I would get from a say, Toronto-specific insert that I couldn't get from the local papers.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Read it daily for a couple months, then got bored with it.

Re-upped a few months ago, but I do not receive the daily e-mails like before. Don't know why.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

They send it. I rarely open it.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Me too.
    I wanted to print a specific article one day to take with me and read at lunch and it was a big hassle.

6. Babs

Babs Member

If it was indexed by Google and came up in my notifications, I'd click over. But I'm not going to open it every day on the slight chance that there's something that might interest me. The time invested is just not worth it. Too much hassle.

7. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I found that it was mostly just basic coverage that I get myself while putting the paper to bed each night. Haven't checked it out recently.

The format is tremendous, however, and my shop has recently copied it for weekly FBC previews for our local teams, upping the interactivity level a bit. The response has been limited thus far, but I maintain that it's going to become vitally important to master that form of communication in our industry.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Does anything advertise on there besides the ACC? Seems like they have a page every day ...

9. My god. Too much hassle to open an e-mail? I just don't get it.

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Same here. Got bored with it after a few months.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I opened it today for the first time in about 3 weeks, to find it has a new look, to include a table of contents on the left and you can scroll right to left to go from page to page very quickly, just like library microfiche except very readable. Very nice. You can zip through it quicker and find what you want more quickly.

It's the nicest online format of anything I"ve seen for a print product yet. And, no, I do not work for TSN. But I've got a former colleague there and sent him an email today to express my pleasant surprise at it.

No excuse for not opening it and skimming through it for at least 10-15 minutes a day.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Someone told me Sporting News cut all its freelance contributors.

Anyone know if this is true?

Draft saved Draft deleted