1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News Today: What's the buzz?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Sep 16, 2008.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I like all the football coverage, but echo the many complaints I've read from Buck about the lack of baseball.

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

How do you subscribe to the online version?

3. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

It's done via CoverLeaf, which is the magazine world's version of an e-Edition/SmartEdition. Essentially, the product is produced just like every other print entity. But instead of being sent to a printing press, they bypass that all together and go straight to online. Larger papers have done the e-Edition for years via Newspaper Direct - it costs the reader roughly $10-15/month and you get the paper online in an interactive format that, in some cases, can even have the stories read to you via intelligent scripting.

This is just the case of the Sporting News deciding to do an e-Edition, but put it out for free.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One thing I don't like about it ... having to register with different e-mail addresses for different computers.

Other than that, I like it. Hell, I'd be willing to pay for it if it was being thrown on my driveway.

5. TheS

TheS Member

I'm a fan of what I've seen.

My subscription went through what I guess you would call a glitch. I received it every day for the first two weeks or so then it stopped. I tried signing up again, but for about six weeks I didn't get it. I hadn't really thought about it in weeks then it showed up in the inbox this morning.

6. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Hell yeah, you can spend an hour on it Sunday and Monday. Some of the stuff in there is stuff I pushed to my editor to see if we could emulate in our paper, but that got a no reply from the email and a "we'll talk later" when I went into his office.

And they wonder why newspapers are Apollo Creed and the Internet is Ivan Drago.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

clutch, just go to the Sporting News Web site and register. It's free, and a link to the day's edition will turn up in your inbox about 7 each morning.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It is hard to find unless you're looking for it. At the very top of sportingnews.com there are a few links for the magazine, radio, etc. The last link is Today. You might get lucky and see a house ad lower down on the page, but those ads rotate.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.coverleaf.com/sportingnewstoday

10. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

I've enjoyed the content, but am finding it harder and harder to read it each day. I see it in my mailbox, and my first thought is, "Am I going to devote 15 minutes of my day to this?" I've been too busy to say yes for the last 2-3 weeks...of course, I waste at least that much on here every day, so I don't know what that says about me.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My biggest measuring stick was how long it would take for me to just start moving past it and getting on to my regular e-mail. This comes after I read my own paper in the morning, have my morning orange juice, take my shower and return to daily tasks.

Surprisingly, I'm yet to ignore it. The front page pieces are usually worthless because they're too short, and I do try to keep up with my non-local NFL team via the daily updates. I do wish they'd do that with every sport, though - I figure it can't be hard to get a blurb on every team like they do the NFL.

The one thing that starts to irritate me, though, is the constant citing of a news source on every bit of information. I guess that's a good thing, but when I know information comes out at a press conference or on a conference call or some similar sort of medium, I've always found it sort of silly to just credit one source.

Nevertheless, it remains a must-read. It could safely get larger, too, and not lose its importance.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It's a tremendous replacement for my local paper's sports section. In fact, in places where the newspaper is local-local-local or less than daily (or in places so far off the beaten path that USA Today doesn't distribute there) I could see this getting tremendous market penetration.

Draft saved Draft deleted