1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News Today thread (what do you think?)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jul 22, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, in that vein, there might have been a better launch time than the dog days of summer. There just isn't that much out there with big punch right now. This is one of those weeks where you say, "Ahhh, let's just put the best baseball out front."

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not sure how aware the public is of this launch. It's a big deal here, naturally, but I don't know how well they've gotten the word out.

So the first day is probably yet to come for a lot of people who will sign up.

Seems as good a time as any to launch with pro football camps open, the Olympics coming up and MLB trade talk heating up.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Got the E-mail at 7:24 Eastern this morning. Considerably better.

Don't think buck's going to be too happy with the front-page play, though.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I just subscribed and got the Thursday edition immediately. One question: Why aren't all the Wednesday night games in there? There were eight NL games; only five caps and five boxes. (Moddy outrage alert: No Nats-Giants.) If I wanted to read an incomplete account of the day in baseball, I'd pick up our newspaper.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OK, how do you read it on a different computer than the one you used to register?

I signed up using my laptop. But now I'm sitting at my desktop and can't find a way to log-in to read all the pages.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Had mine in my inbox when I got to work (7:45 central) and read quite a bit. I love notes columns and quick hits, so I'm liking it. But with a digital product like this and no space limitations, they need to have every box score in there. And a notes package everyday on current sports that covers more teams than what today's baseball package did.

Two days in, and I'm impressed.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You guys missed the late page, Page 6. Had the three late-night boxes and a gamer on Sabathia's 4th win as a Brewer.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Today's edition was here when I woke up at 7:30.

I like it. Today's was better than yesterday's.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Lots of interesting stuff to read in today's edition. The Redskins picture on the front was two days old, though. The Erin Andrews Q&A and Paulus Q&A both were interesting. I love that in July, the NHL is given a whole page.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

OK, maybe someone can explain this to me. I get a link in the e-mail that takes me to a content posted online, only it has graphics like a newspaper. But other than newspaper graphics what am I getting that's any different than if Yahoo! Sports or ESPN were to send me a link to their site every morning?

11. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Well, for one thing, it's all grouped together, which for me is the primary appeal. I don't have to hunt for anything, I don't have to wait -- very long -- for Web page after Web page to load. I can skim two or more stories without ever using my browser's back button.

And the graphics are nice, too.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

a) I think Yahoo! (or any of the primary sports sites) is much easier to navigate;
    b) I haven't had problems with a basic Web page loading since dial-up, and
    c) Newspaper graphics don't work on the Web, which is why Web graphics came to be. It's like taking a step backwards.

I really don't see a point of difference that will make this product work. It's a repackaged Web site. In the end, it's all about the content. Whichever entity puts out the best content -- deep coverage, best writers, breaking news -- will win.

Draft saved Draft deleted