1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News to Outsource to India; New Round Layoffs Underway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cigar56, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

The Sporting News is making some cuts to its editing staff as it prepares to outsource some functions to India. Only name I have confirmed so far is David Squires, who was hired to direct the mobile content on Android and Apple.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't ever like hearing about layoffs anywhere, but it does stun me that TSN has hung around this long.

There are a lot of good people working there, including friends of mine, but I'm on a lot of sports sites over the course of most weeks, including some that are a long way from being mainstream, and I couldn't tell you the last time I was on TSN's site.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, I hope this move will improve the cricket coverage.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And yet Sporting News/Perform was No. 4 in traffic among sports sites in last reporting period, behind only Yahoo!, ESPN and NFL.com.

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Where did Bleacher Report rank? It always seems to be at or near the top.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure exactly what is up, I've heard some stuff similar to Cigar but not the same. India not involved - some help with app development going somewhere in Europe?
    Don't know what's up with layoffs.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

B/R was just behind Sporting News, at No. 5.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

David just got there. Very depressing to hear about this.

9. formere

formere New Member

I know that Jeff Price has left after leaving a blazing path of layoffs and completely torch the company to pursue other options.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/09/16/Media/Jeff-Price.aspx

This latest news (crappy to hear, like others, I know good people at SN) is the fourth finger gone from a person hanging off a cliff with both hands. As time goes, things keep slipping. Some point, the fall will happen

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I didn't think they had anyone left to lay off.

11. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

You're close, but a little off. Stuff is going overseas, but only across the pond and down under.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Fucking Sporting News always does well with this kind of stuff, yet it gets less relevant every year and ownership of the company gets passed around like a joint at a frat party.

So what does it mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted