1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News sells off last bit of integrity

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dixiehack, Jul 31, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I like that style, actually...

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I bet they don't follow that rule for scuba, radar and laser, though.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Design, not to get into a "bet so, bet not" exchange, I'm thinking they probably do....unless you're talking about the first letter capped....

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

look, the sporting news has been desperate for years. if they can get a couple hundred thousand nascar/NASCAR fans to subscribe, they'll stave off extinction for another five years.

5. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I guess I don't see how they sold off their "last bit of integrity."

They were having fun and making some cash off the idea. I think the Ricky Bobby column is in the same vein as the Ricky Bobby SportsCentury at the ESPY awards. Everyone knows it's a joke, it's just for fun.

I've seen other publications use a fake cover for advertising before. Recently, the NHRA's National Dragster put John Force's new A&E reality show on its cover with the "real" cover inside.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's an advertisement, but that's the problem. It's tough to tell for the average reader and blurs the lines of editorial and advertising.

And I think you could do an interesting cover story on the movie, but I don't think that's what is going on here.

7. Mira

Mira Member

NASCAR has tons of money, the studio and advertiser has tons of money. The Sporting News doesn't and they know it.

I don't agree with the actions, but understand plain and simple ... it's all about the money, not journalistic standards.

8. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

I don't think that rule applies unless the acronym is five or six letters. For example, NASA is spoken as a word, and The New York Times does not write it as Nasa. It's NASA.

NASCAR is Nascar in The Times because of the number of letters. I just can't remember if the over/under is five or six.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I subscribe to the Sporting News, mainly because it's a good bathroom mag.
    That said, I was much more peeved by the inside Ricky Bobby content than the front.

10. lono

lono Active Member

It's an ad, dumbass.

It's on the cover, because either the production company paid for it, or NASCAR got Sporting News to do it as a freebie.

But either way, it's an ad, not editorial content.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Way off topic, but "Major League" is to "Bull Durham" what Spinal Tap is to Led Zeppelin. Had to say it.

12. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

It's an ad, dumbass.

It's on the cover, because either the production company paid for it, or NASCAR got Sporting News to do it as a freebie.

But either way, it's an ad, not editorial content.
    Thanks for the idiot response bogie... but as a wrap around to the entire magazine, IT IS THE COVER. It may be an advertising cover, but its still the cover to the publication. And when it utilizes the The Sporting News masthead without any "PAID ADVERTISEMENT" slug (it may have this, I honestly don't know) they are selling their cover PERIOD. Did they get money? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact they just sold their cover.

But thanks for the enlightening post. I had no earthly idea that maybe the good folks at the movie's production company might have had something to do with this.

By the way, Bogie, do think there is any chance Anheuser Busch might have something to do with ESPN's Budweiser Hot Seat segment?

Draft saved Draft deleted