1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News: Pittsburgh is Best Sports City

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Oct 7, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And now I am stuck trying to explain to my co-workers what the hell I'm laughing at.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Interesting you should say that.
    No one ever says, "Here we go Stillers."
    Singing that song is the one time everybody gets the pronunciation right, with no hint of accent.
    Although there is the occasional scent of hops.

3. outofplace

I never noticed that before, but you are right. I don't pronounce it "Stillers" anyway, but even those who do get it right when they do that chant. I don't think Stillers works as well when you are trying to stress both syllables.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You've obviously never been to one of the yinzer bars on the South Side during a football game. Or a baseball game. Or a hockey game. Or a soccer match. Or during the day. Or at night. Or for lunch. Or for dinner.......

They all typically roll up to the curb with Def Leppard or Styx blasting from their 1980's Firebird wearing a mullet and Super Bowl champs hat with the jersey (usually 7 or 92) and they think every time something comes on the television screens, be it a commercial, a highlight, whatever, that means it is time to start up that idiotic chant....."Here we go Stillers Here we go"!!!

FUCK, I hate that more than anything, well, except perhaps "Let's Go Pens." Thankfully the Pirates suck ass so none of these morons around here walk around chanting "Let's Go Bucs" but I'm sure if the team ever gets back to winning 70 games a season that will follow......

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Hershey Bears also won the Calder Cup this year as American Hockey League champions.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. zagoshe

Hey that's not fair -- there were no bobblehead promotions and it wasn't fireworks night. I mean, how can you expect a city with the most hard core sports according to sporting news to show up for games without bobbleheads and fireworks?

8. outofplace

Haven't we already established that they don't count as a major-league franchise? :)

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Hockey doesn't count as a major league sport.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Up your ass it doesn't.

11. You are a bitter, bitter man. :)

12. zagoshe

I thought we established that about 9,000 posts ago..... ;)

And no, really I am not -- this has just been a tough year to live around these parts when you are not a Steeler Nation/HockeyRulesAndPensAreDaBest Kool Aid drinker.......

Draft saved Draft deleted