1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News on life support

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NYknight, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I remember when they would do their Final Four previews, with each team getting its own page and a little cartoon caricature thing. Doesn't seem like much now, but I thought that was the coolest thing ever and would devour every word no matter the team.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

They even killed "Caught on the Fly" a few years ago, didn't they?

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

SN as a weekly was shut down a while back before they went to a biweekly schedule and then it shut down the magazine completely. Now, the brand as a whole is shutting down? My apologized and condolences go out to everyone at SN.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've bought one issue of TSN in my lifetime about 20 years ago, and that was only because my favorite team was on the cover. The magazine seemed to only be focused on baseball for the 1970s and '80s, to which I preferred Sports Illustrated because it was more well rounded. Then, at some point TSN, seemed to go in all directions, to which I thought made it worse than before. At least before, I felt it was the authority on baseball. Maybe it couldn't compete with Baseball Weekly. I do remember BW well and thinking at the time that they knew baseball better than TSN did. Anyway, it always fell short of the standard in my opinion, so its death doesn't really surprise me.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Never been one to devour box scores, but would read all the notebooks on each team every week, which were usually written by a local beat writer. Would still buy the yearbooks, but the quality went downhill when TSN sold it off.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I believe the ship can still be saved. It's not a lost cause.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Don't see how anyone could consider TSN and SI and either/or back then. The approaches were completely different. They complemented each other.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

NYknight said what I was going to say with the benefit (bad word choice) of first-person experience.

Garry Howard didn't kill SN. But he sure as shit wasn't the guy to hire if you wanted fresh ideas or hard work or to turn things around.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Shaddup!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was like hiring Dr. Nick (Hi Everybody!) to help someone who was already in a coma.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

TSN, perhaps more than anything else, was mortally wounded by the Internet. One of their selling points was that if you were an avid Phillies living in Idaho, they would provide you with Phillies information every week.

When the Internet came along, that Phillies fan in Idaho could daily read the local and suburban Philly papers, follow the team's website, participate in discussion boards and even listen to local talk shows as well as watch or listen to the game broadcasts.

Made that Thursday trip to the mailbox for TSN a lot less important.

12. JackS

JackS Member

Agree on missing the college hoop yearbook, although I also agree Lindy's was a good replacement this year.

It's just weird to have 25+ straight issues of the TSN college hoop yearbook on my shelf and now one Lindy's.

Bring back the yearbooks!

Draft saved Draft deleted