1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News on life support

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NYknight, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I think you're on to something dooley. nobody does sports like ESPN, in any format.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My point was ESPN's daily, constant flow of news made the team notes and game highlights in TSN irrelevant.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I know. I was complimenting your observation. Relax. It will come to you. ;)

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, it stopped being the "Bible of Baseball" in the 1960s. TSN's baseball coverage was still very good into the '90s, but the reputation it built under Taylor Spink was long gone by the time I started reading it.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Word of the failure SN on the digital side is disturbing. I have several friends there and I'm praying things will work out. I know that Garry Howard is the editor-in-chief. He's formerly the assistant managing editor for sports at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. I know the hounds will be released on this thread because he's not very well liked by a few SportsJournalists.comers.

6. NYknight

NYknight Guest

Well, sir, you've just introduced the proverbial elephant in the room. I didn't think all the things written about Mr. Howard on this board could possibly be true, but as a former SN staffer I can tell you that it's even worse than has been written here previously. He is unprofessional, unqualified and a big reason for the demise. The best comparison I've heard is "the black Michael Scott" from The Office.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. It was like they weren't trying at times, running interviews with athletes instead of writing actual stories.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's actually a damn good comparison.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't think Garry can be solely blamed for SN's failure, if the rumor is true. Lot of talent there. I truly hope things work out.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I don't think any one person could possibly be blamed for TSN's failures. It was a brand that has seemed to be living on borrowed time for a few years.

If this is true, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see USA Today grab some of the TSN talent.

11. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

When I was a kid, before cable delivered games, living in a non-major league city, TSN was everything. Got my first issue in 1966, Willie McCovey on the cover (I think). I was eight. We drove from Ohio to Newfoundland and back. By the time we got back home the newprint was yellowed from the sun, but TSN was so dense with words and numbers, I was still reading it. And in the days before the interstate, and when the TransCanada across Newfoundland was still, in places, a gravel road (not to mention two eight-hour ferry rides to cross from Nova Scotia and back), that's saying something.

Don't think I'd be doing what I am now if not for that.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And you'll never forgive them (rimshot).

Draft saved Draft deleted