1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News on life support

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NYknight, Oct 31, 2012.

1. NYknight

NYknight Guest

I thankfully got out a few months ago, but word is the magazine has been killed and the mismanaged, directionless digital operation will lose close to $10 million this year. More layoffs in December.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

It amazes me that these guys along with Sports Illustrated and others that were the best in the business at one time never saw what was coming until it was too late. Is it just me or should Sporting News and SI have been the frontrunners in online sports journalism instead of ESPN and Yahoo. etc.?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You can say that about newspapers too.

I've said it before, but if Gannett would have worried a little more about generating revenue from the web and a little less on "Moments of Life" and stupid nicknames for the newsroom, they'd be in a better place and they would have been able to show the way for the other newspaper companies.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Not a fan of their website redesign. Not surprised the move to partner with AOL wasn't a savior. Count me among those, though, who will be sad to see it go. Used to love getting the paper in the mail every week when I was a kid.

6. Armchair_QB

So did I. My dad bought me my first copy in the mid-70s and I used to love scanning the box scores.

My favorite issue was always the one with the team information at the start of spring training.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

While I'm not a fan of what happened with FanHouse for obvious reasons, I have a lot of friends there. Hate to hear about things like this.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sad to hear as well. And part of the group that got the printed product as a kid, from my dad. I remember the first issue: Billy Martin on the cover, and the cross on his hat, above the NY logo.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Think I dropped my subscription sometimes in the 90s, just when it was morphing from the "Bible of Baseball" into whatever the hell it has become since. Seems like it deserves a better fate, given what it was and how long its been around.

10. Armchair_QB

I gave up on it when it started to read like a sportstalk station and they began running more NASCAR than baseball.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Once upon a time, I worked at an auto racing website. When the owners ran out of venture capital money after the first year, they sold to Sporting News for next to nothing. TSN felt compeled to lay everyone off over the course of two months and move the operations.
    Sorry for the layoffs in this case, but fuckabuncha Sporting News.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, having all the box scores and team notes in one place was awesome, and I giggled at Dick Young's high batshit factor. Heck, ESPN the TV version made TSN irrelevant long before the Internet got its shot at it

Draft saved Draft deleted