1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SPorting News magazine to go from bi weekly to once a month format

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by blog415, Oct 10, 2011.

1. blog415

blog415 Member

Wonder what happened to all the writers now since it will be a monthly mag starting november

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Source? Link?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Knew its days were numbered when "Caught on the Fly" debuted. It was like jamming Jim Rome into a papal conclave.

4. blog415

blog415 Member

They will still have stuff on their website daily but the old Sporting News magazine is gone. It went from once a week to bi weekly and now they are going to be a "Sporting news yearbook"

I think the magazine failed to evolve

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

They better refund me some money. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, it's sad to see what this magazine has become. It was the first sports magazine I remember reading. My dad would bring a copy home for me whenever he went on the road for work. I'd read the thing cover to cover.

Eventually my folks got a subscription for me. I saved every copy from about 1980-1984. Finally had to get rid of them when I left for college.

Was a subscriber well into my 30s before it started reading like a talk radio station and I finally cancelled it.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Here is the link to what is being discussed.

http://www.minonline.com/news/Sporting-News-Mag-Goes-Monthly_19098.html

What I'd like to know is what this means for the annual "preview" issues. Will there still be fantasy baseball, baseball preview, fantasy football, etc?

8. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

So, what kind of features will the magazine be devoted too now? Also, will we have more columnists that discuss sports issues? Do we get more inside stories and interviews?

9. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

I think there are many of us in my generation who may not have become sports writers - or writers at all - without TSN. I remember being eight or nine years old when I got my first copy as we started a car trip from Ohio to Newfoundland and back. TSN kept me occupied for about three weeks - the glorious bottomless pit of boxscores, Joe Falls, Leonard Koppett, Bob Broeg and Dick Young's not-so-young "Young Ideas." By the time we got back the cover, which I think featured Willie McCovey on it, was yellow and crisp from being exposed to the sun in the back window. If you lived outside a major media market back then, there was nothing like getting TSN and spending a day finding out what had just happened.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hasn't been the same since we lost the glorious Willard Mullin cover art . . .

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I introduced myself to my first journalism mentor because he was the Sporting News correspondent for my favorite baseball team.

25 years later, the Sporting News cost me a job.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Similar story for me. I started buying it at a 7-11 near my middle school in 1981. My mom got a subscription for me that Christmas and I read it up and down for the next 15 years.

Then it started evolving away from having the box scores. I think they dropped basketball and hockey ones first. Then the individual team round-ups disappeared, at least in the form that I remembered them.

A few years ago, I saw what the Sporting News had become and I thought to myself, "What the hell happened?"

Draft saved Draft deleted