1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News leaves St. Louis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeff D'Alessio is leaving the Atlanta Journal-Constitution to become the new editor at The Sporting News.
    This is an editor a very good friend told me was the best he'd had. I have never worked with Jeff but have never heard a bad word and that's rare for any editor.

2. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I've never met D'Alessio, but our times at the Sporting News intersected and his work there, mainly online, convinced me he was a major talent. My friends in Atlanta have confirmed that opinion.

That said, just yesterday I heard that the magazine would become a monthly. I'd guess that's another step toward the abyss -- unless I'm completely wrong on how much money online fantasy sports brings in.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Unsolicited feedback from a board member:

That's a huge loss for the AJC. D'Alessio is the rare mix of incredible talent and a tireless work ethic. Great hire by the Sporting News.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A monthly??? Damn. I'll be very curious to see how that works.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not well, I'd imagine.

And I'm NOT saying that to elicit anger from the TSNers among us. But if TSN is having trouble remaining relevant and in the psyche of sports fans as a weekly, imagine how it'll do as a monthly.

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I let my TSN subscription run out 22 years ago.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Neither Sport nor Inside Sports (either ownership) could make it as a monthly against SI and, eventually, against ESPNTM, to say nothing of the net. If fantasy sports carried the load, perhaps the title is being used as a loss leader.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I did some work for Sport magazine and it had some potential. Let's just say it wasn't a priority title for its publishing company.

9. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Anyone know what D'Alessio was doing in Atlanta under the latest re-org plan?

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sport got passed around like a used car in its last decade of existence. Whatever potential it had was limited because it couldn't define an audience well enough to hook advertisers.

11. seattleslot

seattleslot New Member

Dalessio's title at A-JC was something like senior day editor.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sounds a lot like a certain weekly we're talking about here, doesn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted