1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News leaves St. Louis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 29, 2008.

1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

According to this link, about 60. So yeah, it's Lara Flynn Boyle territory.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2007/05/07/daily28.html?q=%20Sporting%20News%20%20and%20%20St.%20Louis

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I do not know much. This much I do know, thanks to The Pipeline and its perfect batting average:

John Rawlings is not going to Charlotte.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, if true, he's had a good run after another good, long run as SE in San Jose. He was the first big-city SE to fly me in for an interview in 1984, and although he hired someone else, I began to believe I could work at that level and learned a lot during a couple days there. Good luck to him.

4. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Obvious question is, what will JR do?

5. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

What's Rawlings gonna do? I imagine he'll land somewhere fast.

Good luck to him. Heck of a guy, pretty good boss.

6. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I wonder if he's getting a nice ($$$$) buyout. If so, he might be in good enough shape to just hang out. He might be age 60?? Or maybe less.

7. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I'm sure he will be thrown plenty of exit perks. The ones in the big offices always are.

I wonder about all the hard-working people in the trenches. I hope they get something they can ride for a while. Something beyond a pair of skates.

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Rawlings did a great job with the Sporting News; you can't blame him for the decline; it's simply a publication that has outlived its time. But he did modernize it, albeit perhaps slowly. He also made the Mercury News more of a big-time operation. But some people here will tell you it actually got better after he left and his hand-picked successor left after a brief stay.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

if that's a 'great job' i'd hate to see what a mediocre or bad job looks like.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Ah, yes. HenryHenry lives up to his name and proves twice that he is a clown.

11. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Call me crazy, but I actually really like the Sporting News now. No, it's not going to give me the epic emotional piece like an SI will. And it's not going to give me the OH MY GOD HERE IS A STORY THAT LOOKS LIKE AN AD!!!! that The Mag does, but it's a good read for me. I play a lot of fantasy sports, so it's a nice little lifeline there and it's fun and quirky. I'm able to keep up with names in all the major sports without having to invest too much time or energy.

Back in the day, we called it a great "One Trip" magazine. SI or The Mag is a good three or four trips, unless you're a little backed up.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

if you don't play fantasy sports, why read it?

the best thing about it is that there are no ads to break up the copy...

Draft saved Draft deleted