1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News leaves St. Louis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Another part of the TSN's tradition ends:

Sporting News magazine is moving the rest of its operations from St. Louis to parent company American City Business Journals Inc.'s corporate headquarters in Charlotte, N.C., said Ray Shaw, chairman of American City Business Journals.

ACBJ acquired Sporting News magazine and its related online, book publishing and radio network units in October 2006 from Vulcan Sports Media Inc., part of Vulcan Inc., a holding company owned by billionaire Paul Allen. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Last summer, SportingNews.com's online operations in St. Louis and New York were consolidated in a move that included the relocation of about two dozen employees from St. Louis and a similar number from New York.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Any idea on the number of editorial staff left at TSN?

It's got to be pretty lean.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Grew up 1.5 miles from The Sporting News headquarters in surburban St. Louis. Went there as a 13-year-old on a middle school field trip and fell in love with the business.

Too bad but it's been in the works for years.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The website I worked for was bought by TSN 10 years ago. I remember when they closed up and moved to St. Louis... I understand the nostalgia, but karma's a bitch

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only reason I read the rag back in the day was because I was a Cardinals fan and TSN was the piano player in the Cards' whorehouse.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

As a kid I always wondered why St. Louis? It seemed archaic even then. On the other hand, it's kind of weird that it's moving to a town with no MLB, given its history.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

When I worked there 10 years ago, they had been bought by Times-Mirror and all the talk was about relocating to NYC.

NOBODY who worked there wanted to go.

Me: Are you guys on crack? You'd rather stay in St. Louis?

But then I realized most of the people who worked there at the time were natives, so it would have been a major uprooting.

I mean, they thought the tax deductions on their paycheques were onerous. I got my first one, and laughed my ass off at how much I got to keep. :D

8. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Do you think John Rawlings will make the move?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not that they were going to be willing to pay legit NYC money, then.

An even more laughable thought, now.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Sporting News was one of St. Louis's major points in the eternal argument over what is America's biggest baseball town. Now that's gone, so the answer is either Boston, New York, or Chicago.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An interesting debate topic.

Having two teams is a big advantage, but when I hear that question, I think of towns that favor baseball over the other major sports.

Baltimore's one.

St. Louis still is, and will likely forever be.

Boston would seem to be, for the moment, even given the presence of the Pats.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

rawlings ran that sucker into the ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted