1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News: How Urban Meyer "broke" the Florida football program

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

An interesting read...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-04-09/urban-meyer-florida-ohio-state-ncaa-violation-recruiting-drugs-program-will-musc

I'm not sure how much I agree, but I enjoy reading anything that bashes Meyer.

2. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I read this yesterday, and I'm kind of surprised this is even a "story". Every school has a "Circle of Trust", although I doubt anyone in them had the ability to stop stadium stairs as conditioning.

Janoris Jenkins was never a problem at North Alabama, so who knows. Maybe Terry Bowden had more control over his players.

I feel like this goes on everywhere, though.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I read it yesterday, too. One gaping hole in the article: Where is Tebow? Was he in the circle of trust? Was he neutral? Did the team rally around him instead of Meyer and the situation imploded after he left?

I don't see how you write such a big story and relegate Tebow to one throwaway mention in a quote, especially given his reputation (mostly deserved, IMHO) for inspiring teammates.

4. I thought Hayes did a pretty good job tying a lot of different incidents together. A lot of this stuff had been talked about on the beat (and beaten to death on message boards), but as far as I know, most of this was never reported on.

Would have loved the piece had he been able to get some quotes from either of the Pouncey twins, Ahmad Black or Marcus Gilbert. He said he made an attempt to talk to Harvin, which is something, I guess. I feel like the piece as a whole would have been stronger with some color from someone in the "Circle of Trust."

Black would be really interesting to hear from, because he was certainly not in it at the beginning of his career. At one point, Meyer called him a waste of a scholarship. By the end of his career, he was one of the most productive players Meyer had. So his take would be very intriguing.

5. Mizzougrad96

Hayes is a former UF beat writer and a hell of a reporter. My question is, did Florida help with the story to make it seem like all of its problems can be blamed on a coach who has left rather than the guy who had a pretty disastrous first season?

6. Knowing Florida, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Interesting read ... I liked the part about Harvin complaining, and then conditioning being changed from running steps to pick-up basketball games. Wish I would have thought of that in high school. :)

And I agree, the writer should have tried to contact Tebow. He notes when other players didn't return calls/emails. I'm sure Tebow could have shed some interesting light on things, if he agreed to talk.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Hayes and the AD there were tight when he was a beat writer. I kind of see this as a bit of a spin, like, "Hey, it's not Muschamp's fault."

9. Foley's not one of the best ADs in the country for no reason. There's been a pretty clear campaign from the UAA to boost up Muschamp since the Gator Bowl, from talking incessantly about the new strength and conditioning coordinator (after Meyer's old one left this offseason), to opening a few spring practices for the fans, to repeatedly mentioning the depth problem Florida had last year.

Like I said, wouldn't surprise me at all.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Tebow is too empty to comment on this type of story. No way would he be critical of Meyer and any bashing of the players would contradict the image of players following the great leader.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The main thing that struck me with this story was the absence of Tebow, who was most certainly in the "circle of trust" and may have had more to do with the 2008 title than Urban did.

Obviously, you wouldn't get anything from him if you asked him. It would either be a no comment or a "golly-gee coach Meyer sure was great. He treated us all the same, like his sons." But you still have to reach out and try to talk to someone who was as big (if not bigger) than Meyer while at Florida.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The "Circle of Trust" was no secret. Meyer even wrote about it in his book. He used it as a motivational tool. The players who performed got better food/ clothing / ect.
    You could say it backfired but given his National Championships you could also say it worked.

I'm a believer in the Pat Reilly theory that after 5 years or so a coach has to move on because the players stop buying into what you are selling

Draft saved Draft deleted