1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News eliminates yearbooks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I know, a lot of you get freelance money from the annuals but with the internet it is not worth buying these books for $10 dollars each.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I dunno. I'd rather bring a $10 annual into the reading room than my computer.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I love the college basketball ones. With so many teams, it's really convenient to have at least a little bit of informational about all of them. Obviously, that information might be outdated. But few teams experience sweeping roster changes from July to November.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, just a sign of the changing times, I suppose. Miss the "good ole' days". Yes, they came out very early, but at times growing up they were my only source of off-season news about teams I followed.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yep...rechecked the stands last night...no TSN in our area anyway, so went with Lindy's, which is a pretty even trade-off in my mind. Athlon is the mistake you make once.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I liked what the annuals represented -- namely, that it was close to time for that sport's season to begin. Mid-July comes and there's a Street & Smith's or Lindy's sitting in the 7-11 or Waldenbooks, and it told the kid me that I can start thinking about college football again.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When I was a teenager (a long, long time ago), the day Street & Smith's College Basketball hit the stores was one of the top five sports days of the year for me.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I always wanted the MLB, NFL & college football & hoops issues. As I grew older I only purchased the college football previews.

At one time the football preview didn't come out til late June, which seems just about right but for whatever reason the releases started leaking into the late spring, which is ridiculous given that spring ball doesn't end til late April most places.

Really hate to them go, as others have said I thought TSN put out the best product.

Draft saved Draft deleted