1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News eliminates yearbooks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

... and a source of freelance income for me. :'(

Got an e-mail today stating that the annual yearbooks will be folded into the magazine from here on out.

Understandable move, considering the shelf life of these yearbooks are so short any more. I know the college football previews are due in early April and college basketball in early July, and those deadlines make the books outdated almost the second they hit the shelves.

So that leaves Lindy's, Athlon and Phil Steele, right? Am I missing someone?

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'm taking a freelance hit as well. I had my gig for a long time. Hate to see it go.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. Just announce the end, Sporting News. Now how long before baseball mags come out?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Monday

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Eliminates only remaining things I bothered to purchase from them. See ya!

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Oh wow. The one thing I thought they still did pretty well. Too bad.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Darn. I had Sporting News yearbooks dating back to the early 1980s. Football, baseball, basketball, hockey. Always enjoyed them and thought they were well put together.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No fault of anyone here, of course, but over the past few years they've been so thin, and with the boom in the Internet and free agency, so far behind what's going on, an automatic buy became "why bother?"

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I bought Sporting News, Athlon and Lindy's, minimum, every year for college basketball. I thought Sporting News generally had the best content, while Athlon had the most content and Lindy's was a nice balance.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The deadline for the baseball yearbook used to be mid-December.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The college football deadline for some of those magazines usually came during the NCAA Tournament.

Hard to believe that something Garry Howard is running isn't wildly successful. :D

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Used to always pick up the baseball one, there was something about seeing in on the newsstand in February or whenever it came out and knowing that spring was mercifully around the corner!

Picked up Phil Steele's pro and college football books this year for the first time but was just overwhelmed by how much reading was in there. I'm not that serious about betting football anymore to wade through all the abbreviations. Will be going back to Lindy's and Athlon's next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted