1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News' Best Sports Cities out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by apseloser, Oct 7, 2008.

1. floridasun

floridasun Member

Bingo

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fuck yah slappy, and XC. Boaz cheboiywo.

Also the adopted home of the DETROIT SHOCK: 2008 WNBA CHAMPIONS; WHAT OTHER CITY CAN CLAIM THAT!

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's just an MSU logo with a hat on. Quit making the Spartan S look like a tourist.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't see how Hemstead NY 202 could rate higher than Bingington NY 203 on this list.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Isn't it Hempstead?

6. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

Glad to see my hometown, Birmingham, on the list at 131.

I'm not to sure what makes it a great sports town these days, though. UAB sports? The PapaJohns.Com Bowl?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The hot dogs at Legion Field?

8. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Classic - gotta love giving love to an obscure D3 hoops coach at an even more obscure school.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nope.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/teams/page/STETSN

That was Stetson's athletics logo until this year. John B. Stetson was a big donor and founding trustee for the school when it was first founded in the late 1800s, per Wikipedia.

Speaking of DeLand being ahead of Daytona Beach ... DeLand has the Stetson Hatters, while Daytona Beach has the 500, another NASCAR race, the 2008 Florida State League (high A ball) champs and I believe the NAIA school in Daytona Beach sent a couple of teams to the postseason last year. And yet, as noted previously, DeLand is ahead of Daytona Beach. I'm somewhat confused as to why.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I appreciate the effort, but some of these are just crazy. Clinton, S.C. is on the list ahead of Scranton-WB? A town with a recently added Division I football team beats a region with a AAA Yankees affiliate, a perennial AHL contender, the race from The Office and the classic sport of jump before the ground caves in around you.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A lot of screwed up ones on that list. If Ann Arbor is lumped with Detroit and and Boulder with Denver than why not Norman and OKC? How about Lawrence and KC? Hell, you could take the Metro from the Nats' ballpark to a Maryland football game, but College Park and D.C. are listed separately.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think every city on this list is perfectly slotted. To the very number. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted