1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News/AOL Fanhouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I explained myself very badly and I cannot apologize enough for that.

There are several cities outside of the five that ESPN has officially launched that have hired writers that are now worried about being overextended.

Let's just leave it at that.

2. Mizzougrad96

I think of all of the writers who have left good jobs at papers for Fanhouse and this is truly frightening.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We're coming up on a year since the last launch of ESPN sites, and there have been some issues with the five sites.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Before all the regional sites were in place, the main .com had a lot of freelancers making great coin. I was one of them and for a number of years it was fabulous. But when the faucet was turned off, it was off for good, and my great boss couldn't do a thing about it.

Now the freelance money is in the regional sites, and I hope they don't suffer. But the bottom line is there are no safe havens in this business.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The only growth is in specific industries where a small market is willing to pay high subscription fees for good reporting.

Politics, finance, health care, etc.

6. VJ

VJ Member

Good point. People have shown they will pay good money for excellent political, financial, health care, etc. coverage, whether its individuals or large companies. That's why companies like Politico are launching Politico Pro, aimed at firms and companies that can afford the crazy subscription rates. I don't the same can be said for sports coverage.

7. Mizzougrad96

I was just on Fanhouse and the thought of some of these guys being cut loose is mind-numbing.

8. silent_h

silent_h Member

The only growth is in specific industries where a small market is willing to pay high subscription fees for good reporting.

Politics, finance, health care, etc.

This.

The way to make money in media, I think, is narrowcasting to a specific, reliable demographic that is: (a) willing to pay for your content, either because it gives them a tangible competitive information advantage, or because it's an entertainment luxury item they'll spring for; (b) deliverable to advertisers that are desperate to reach them and therefore willing to pay you; (c) both, if you're lucky.

Cable television networks basically do this already. (HBO, ESPN). So do financial and political information subscription services.

Sports information provides a natural niche along these lines -- although only as an entertainment luxury item -- but not nearly as big a niche as any of us would like.

I expect a lot more consolidation in the next decade. I think it will end up looking something like: ESPN, Comcast, whatever teams and leagues do to provide information directly, local TV and very, very low-paying, bloggy online local sports coverage.

Most of us are going to be culled, sadly.

9. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Screwball -- it basically involves gathering the weird/fun/sad/unique things that happen every week in the sports world.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Moddy first let me say that I'm sorry for the news. Needless to say I hope everything works out for you and all the talented writers that Fan House has amassed.

The problem I have whether it be Fanhouse, ESPN, Yahoo or Fox there are just to many writers to follow on any given day.

I pretty much use SJ as my "clearing house" for good articles. If it's worth a read someone will post a link here.

Fanhouse to me has always been like a well done prime time network tv show that I rarely watch but when I do, always think I need to watch regularly ,but then go weeks before catching again. 30 Rock would be an example.

Too much to read,too little time.

11. Mizzougrad96

What sickens me about this is this is the same place that was hiring writer after writer less than a year ago. A lot of people left great jobs to go there and now they're screwed.

12. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Shows the danger these days for leaving even a shaky job for one that shows great potential but is unproven. Been there, done that. I think nearly all of the Fanhouse jobs will go away. Fanhouse supposedly had a staff of 70, with most making more or about the same as they did at their last newspaper. Not all received benefits. But let's assume that overall the average cost-per-employee to Fanhouse was 75K. That's $5.25 million a year in salaries and benefits. The Sporting News is a tiny company. It can't afford to take on that kind of payroll, especially since the new deal requires it to share profits with AOL. So it makes sense that only 5 or 6 people will be offered jobs with TSN.

Draft saved Draft deleted