1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting News/AOL Fanhouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jan 13, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Interesting to see Sporting News lining up with AOL Sports. Wonder what this means for Fanhouse ...

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=tdi.closingBell

2. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I know people who work both places... here's hoping they don't suffer too much.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

And another attempt at a dotcom trying to prove it could survive as a content provider is kaput. Patch, you're next.

Not surprised the honeymoon is over, but surprised it came to such a screeching halt. Hopefully all the people who have been fucked yet again by the idea the Internet will be our salvation can land on their feet soon, and preferably out of this terrible business.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't Fanhouse where Moddy works?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

To all who have reached out and there are so many - THANK YOU. I'll try to get back to all of you at some point but I'm a little overwhelmed right now.

Beyond that I can't say much. I don't know much. Most of you know as much as I do at this point.

I should have stuck with the restaurant business, you know?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hang in there. Thinking of you. Criminy.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Patch is the kind of thing that might survive a while.

Nobody has hired and then screwed over more sports journalists in 200 years than all the incarnations of AOL Sports. They've done this like three or four times now. It's simply amazing.

Moddy, I'm feeling for ya. Let me know if you need anything...

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What is Patch? I've heard a lot about it but can't quite figure out what it is.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

After seeing what happened when Sporting NEws got involved with the autoracing dot com I worked for in the late 90s, it's never a good thing... like the dot com equivalent of Scripps.
    Sorry, Moddy.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

www.patch.com.

An arm of AOL targeting upper middle class neighborhoods and communities, and they're hoping to eventually have paid advertising carry the freight for the content.

12. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

So many great people are working fulltime at FanHouse. This is gut-wrenching.

Draft saved Draft deleted