1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sporting event without fans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

We’ve got our taste of pro sports without fans. What are your thoughts?

personally, I really loved the NHL without fans. Another one that I don’t mind is MLB without fans. I definitely do not miss the idiots reaching for a ball while it’s still in play. That drives me bonkers.

thoughts?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't like it. But somehow, the limited crowds at the college and pro games bothered me more.

maumann likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The pro games are made for fans. They add to the atmosphere and home field advantage. It's part of the game, really. It's not as good without them.

That said, I hate the piped-in crowd noise and I think the cardboard cutouts in the seats are eye-rollingly stupid.

heyabbott, OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I do not miss one bit the folks who scream "Get in the hole!" after every tee shot.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I tried, but it is just too damned weird, and I hope the players and owners now understand how much the fan brings to the game.

The cutouts were the joke that gets told a few dozen times too many.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Haven't missed them at regular Tour events but the U.S. Open wasn't the same without fans and The Masters will be really weird without them.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Doesn’t bother me a bit.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Doesn’t bother me either. The fake crowd noise does though.

During the summer, I’d watch EPL matches on the NBCSN app without it. It was cool hearing the players talking on the field. I realize the US networks are using the fake crowds to cover up the F-bombs, but I wish they could provide a nat sound option.

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Fans are slowly returning. There were fans at the Rays-Astros game last night.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just makes the sports seem . . . fake. Like an exhibition.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Really don’t like baseball or basketball without fans. Hockey and football, I’ve been ok with.

Whoever was doing the fake crowd noise for the Rays-Astros was on their game yesterday, right down to the “ooooooh!” when a batter was hit by a pitch. Done well, with baseball particularly, the noise adds something to the game. Done poorly, it’s like a bad laugh track, and as expendable.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I didn't think I'd like the fake crowd noise, but it makes it sound like baseball. I throw a lot of games on in the background as I work from home and the silence would have been weird.

The cutouts were silly, but since most raised money for charity, I was OK with them. And it was fun to see them occasionally get drilled by a ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted