1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sport stars from the past

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I always have this type of arguments with sports fans. I'm a strong believer that great sport stars from the past could have success in today's game. For example:

Baseball:
    -Babe Ruth
    -Lou Gehrig
    -Ty Cobb
    -Walter Johnson

Hockey:
    -Maurice Richard
    -Gordie Howe
    -Jacques Plante

Basketball:
    -Bill Russell
    -George Mikan
    -Bob Cousy

Football:
    -Jim Brown
    -Bart Starr
    -Johnny Unitas

That's just to name a few players.

In your opinion do you believe sports athletes that dominated their era like Babe Ruth did in the early 1900's would be able to put up the same numbers, or close to in this generation?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is beyond obvious, Ilmago. The stars would still be stars, but their numbers would be different because the sports have changed. Holy cow, Gordie Howe, one of the athletes you cited, proved it. He successfully competed in about four generations worth of hockey.

3. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I agree with you Michael, but a lot of people make the argument that players today are bigger, faster and stronger then what they were while Maurice Richard played hockey. They also say that the Goalies are much better then they were in their era.

When it comes to Baseball, they keep saying that pitchers like Walter Johnson or Cy Young didn't have the velocity that the pitchers from today and the batters of today's generation would have a field day if they pitched to them. One guy made the argument that Babe Ruth wouldn't be able to handle a fastball thrown by Pedro(when he was in his prime)

That said, it might be obvious to me and you, and probably a few other posters on these forums, but a lot of people make the argument that superstars from the past wouldn't be able to handle it in today's era.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Don't you think stars from the past would take advantage of the same advantages modern day athletes have? Babe Ruth would be able to lift weights and shoot steroids up his ass. Jim Brown would do the same.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth would be lucky to hit as well as Jack Cust if you plopped him straight into today's game.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

For Ruth, you also have to factor in suspension times and how long he would spend in rehab.

Bronko Nagurski would have kicked ass today. Jim Brown ditto.

George Mikan? Probably a pedestrian NBA player.

7. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

That's another thing I keep saying in my argument. The likes of Babe Ruth would be able to have a proper gym, they would have a nutrition plan unlike they did in the past, the transportation would be more comfortable then riding the train.

I know Babe Ruth did have a trainer later in his career, but his workout routine would definitely be more advanced in today's game.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

On an old Superstars shown on ESPN classic, Joe Frazier, the heavyweight champ of the world, could not lift what looked like 135 pounds over his head.

a bar, and 45 pound weights on each side.

The heavyweight champ of the world.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bill Simmmons eviscerated George Mikan in his basketball book. It was a very thoughtful chapter. No way could Mikan play today.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wilt Chamberlain could not average 50 a game in today's NBA but he would be far and away the best center in the league.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, you'd also have to take into account Ruth would be 115 years old, too.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Julio Franco played until was 115.

Draft saved Draft deleted