1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Splittorff ill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, May 16, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A Royal on the cover of The Sporting News...

The good old days.

[​IMG]

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What I loved about Splitt doing Royals games is he told it like it was. He once hammered the players for laughing in the dugout during a rout against Texas, and I remember that. He slammed the players left and right. But nobody loves the Royals more than Splitt.

Also, some love for his college basketball broadcasting. Solid analyst during Big 12 games.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Him and Armstrong were very good together.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

He's had voice issues for the past few years, but I always read it was some sort of virus. Never met the man, but he was always easy to listen to. Sort of a television verson of Denny Matthews.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sam Mellinger:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/16/2880591_splittorff-never-one-to-draw-attention.html?storylink=omni_popular

Nice passage here:

I didn't get to see many American League games growing up in the early 80s, so I don't remember Splittorff as anything more than a picture on a baseball card. By I admired those Royals teams greatly, and he was one of their stalwarts.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There are only a handful of people in the world I would listen to read the dictionary.

Denny Matthews is one of them.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Have we reached the point where only Scully has worked longer than him?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just throwing out names off the top of my head (none topping Scully): Milo Hamilton? Marty Brenneman? Joe Gordon? Dave Van Horne?

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jerry Coleman?

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The announcers I would listen to read the dictionary.

Denny Matthews
    Vin Scully
    Keith Jackson
    Al Michaels
    Verne Lundquist

honorable mention;
    Marty Brennaman
    Ernie Harwell
    Skip Caray

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

From wikipedia:

"Matthews' tenure with the Royals, at 42 years and counting, is the third-longest tenure with one team of any current Major League Baseball announcer, trailing only those of Los Angeles Dodgers broadcasters Vin Scully (1950-present) and Jaime Jarrin (1959-present)."

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you want to be technical, Ralph Kiner has been with the Mets since the franchise started in '62. Granted, he's only on for a couple of innings for maybe 10-15 home games and spends most of that time talking about the '52 Pirates, but he still technically on their payroll.

Draft saved Draft deleted