1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Splittorff ill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, May 16, 2011.

1. Liut

Liut Active Member

Per media reports in Kansas City, Paul Splittorff hospitalized with oral cancer and melanoma.

God's speed, Paul. He's battled much adversity over the years.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jesus, Wikipedia says he's been read his last rights and isn't expected to make it through the night.

Hope that's not true.

Those Royals teams of the late '70's were big rivals of the Yankees, but damn if I wasn't a fan of most of their players.
  3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Split is one helluva nice guy. Damn.
  4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For those of us of a certain age and who grew up in Kansas City, those men were like deities to us.

Dan Quisenberry... gone to soon.

Darrell Porter.... the demons finally got him.

Al Cowens... died way too young.

Now possibly Split, who was the rock of that staff for many years. He didn't always win the most games but the guy was absolutely steady on the hill.

I was, especially, impressed with his TV work after he retired. He was strong on baseball but also transitioned well into other sports. I hope his suffering isn't prolonged.

EDIT: (Yes, YF, definitely Dick Howser - I was going through the positions in my mind and #10 slipped my mind). Watch the '85 World Series. Steady in the dugout, helping motivate and will that team to the 1984 and 1985 playoffs, winning it all.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't forget Dick Howser. A little bit later, but still an important part of the Royals.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Godspeed Split.
  7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

I saw this on the KC Confidential website tonight. Split worked hard to be one of the best analyst in the game after ending his playing career.

May God comfort you Split and your family. Kansas City is blessed to have a class act and great man.
  8. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I never covered Paul as a baseball player - he was before my time - so the first time I met him was while he was doing some UMKC basketball games. My seat was next to his, and not only he is one of the all-time good guys, but he was one heck of a color commentator. The Summit is the lowest of the non-majors, and he could have easily skated by, but he did his homework on every team and had obviously worked hard at the craft.

The reason I found out that things had gotten so dire was that I happened to be sitting next to JoePos at a baseball game today, and he mentioned it. I wish all of the best to Paul and his family.
  9. After Dennis Leonard couldn't make it out of the first inning in Game 5 of the '76 ALCS, Splittorff came in and held the Yankees down for a few innings — enough for the Royals to ultimately tie the game in the eighth inning before Chambliss' home run.

Never forgot those big glasses and how he squinted in to get the signs.

Man, do I miss that era of baseball.
  10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I miss that era too. I'm from Oakland originally and the A's had a pretty good rivalry with the Royals, too. I'll never forget at the Coliseum when Dennis Leonard beaned Don Baylor, who charged the mound like a bull. Leonard tried to get away and was absolutely speared by Claudell Washington, who had run out from the dugout. That was just the beginning of a wild brawl.
  11. Liut

Liut Active Member

Corky, I had forgotten that was Splitt in Game 5. Will never, ever, forget the conclusion of the game and on-field mayhem.
  12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Crafty is how I would describe Split, on the hill.

Along with 1976, he also outduelled Guidry in 1977 in Game 5, handing a lead over to the pre-Quisenberry bullpen. That bullpen made the '01 Diamondbacks look like Bruce Sutter and Rollie Fingers.

EDIT ADD: Looking over the box score of that 1977 ALCS Game 5. Split had 'em up 3-1 in the bottom of the 8th before handing it over to Doug Bird and that creepy beard of his. Ugh...

I think that experience explained why Whitey Herzog insisted on getting Bruce Sutter for 1982. No more bullpen by committee whenever possible.
Draft saved Draft deleted