1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

split the pot nights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EGM67, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

That's hilarious. What school would let the local yokel reporter win so they'd provide "good coverage" of a high school sporting event? That must be one fucked-up high school, if it feels the need to bribe a preps writer. And not to quibble, what raffle announces names? Isn't always just announcing numbers? Maybe in a town of 100 where everyone knows one another...

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Some schools give a prize to the person who has the program with the coach's signature inside. If the school gave me a free program and I won, I would never take the prize. But I did win once at a school that made me pay for the program and I had no qualms about claiming a free burger coupon. My wife happened to be at the game watching, so I sent her up to get the prize.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I did get one one night where it was shooting for a pizza. Hit a free throw for a smallpizza, top of the circle for a medium and half court for a large.
    Won the small and gave it to a baseball player in the stands.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Don't do it. It makes you look like a booster.

One of the most embarrassing moments of my career came when I covered an appearance by Big Time College Coach who came to our small little Podunkville. I had recently graduated from Big Time College, and had covered said coach.

When I got to the event, my "credential" to get it was a nametag -- same as everyone else there. Little did I know that, by accepting that nametag, my name had been entered in a raffle for prizes.

So, imagine my horror when I won this raffle I didn't know I'd entered, and had to traipse to the front of the room to accept an autographed football from Big Time College Coach.

I try to turn it down, but by the time I got to the podium, the coach was going on and on about how I was "one of the great young sportswriters in America" or something ridiculous. (Anyone who's covered this guy would be shocked, SHOCKED!, he was resort to such hyperbole)

So I had to accept the prize. I felt like a total douchebag. I ended up giving it away to a kid in the parking lot, but the whole episode was just mortifying.

You don't want to look like a booster. Ever. And I think the same principle applies here.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think there's a difference between paying to entering a drawing and getting an entry free.
    I disagree; the same principle does not apply.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Split-the-pot raffles are so endemic in Chicago, the Bulls have one every home game. I think the Bears do as well. Chicago: where we always Split the Pot.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't have worried about looking booster-like at some of my old prep games, they could have called my name and the home crowd would have booed me because I had the *gall* to pick against them in the Friday morning predictions column.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If Granny's buying, I'll split it with ya ;)

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Always happy to split the pot.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The season I hit four were all at the same school... After drawing two, whenever they brought the ticket to the scorers table, they looked at me. When I kept my head on the table, the group of 10 fans (who were also golf buddies) or so behind the bench would start chirping. They knew...
    I have not hit one in the 13 years since.

11. [​IMG]

Puff, Puff Give!
    Puff, Puff, Give!

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was at a high school baseball game once where they had one of these things. The winner got to go out to second base and try to hit a home run over the fence for a chicken dinner or something. I was in the press box when some of the JV kids picked the name. They rummaged through the hat to see who was entered, and picked out a teacher they hated just so they could see him make an ass of himself.
    Ever since then, I've had a hard time believing these things are on the up-and-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted