1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

split the pot nights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EGM67, Oct 7, 2008.

1. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

This may be a dumb question, but would it be inappropriate to participate in a split the pot contest at a football game that you were covering?

At the games i cover, they always announce that Joe Blow won like $700 just for buying a raffle ticket for $5. It is always tempting to drop some money in, but I wasn't sure if it was ethical to do so while I was covering the game.

2. jps

jps Active Member

don't do it. just looks bad, even if it really isn't. unless you do it and then donate the winnings back to the school -- which can make you look good and give your paper some goodwill.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Absolutely, positively unethical to play the 50/50 as a reporter.

Save the money for the lottery, Vegas, AC, Biloxi, Tunica or the reservation.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Don't do it.

When I was a young cub reporter, I bought a 50-50 ticket at a youth baseball tournament. I basically thought of it as a $1 donation ... but I won. I felt sick when they read my ticket number.

I wish I would've thought to donate the money back to the baseball league, but I was so flustered I couldn't think straight, so I kept it and felt bad about it, though I did spend most of the money (it was only $25 or $30) at the concessions stand that week, so I guess I did donate it back, in a way.

Don't do it.

5. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to play, although it was tempting the other night when the winner received $3,300 at the game I was covering.

6. Only way you do it is if you donate all winnings back.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I did it for years and have no qualms about doing it. I paid more than my amount of money and got a few bucks back (including the 1995 season when I hit four times for chump change each time and haven't won since).
    I figure the least I can do is buy 50-50 tickets.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've done it and won $20 once. Didn't see the difference in ethics, really. If I'm hungry, should I not go to the concession stand to buy a hot dog? I'm giving money either way.

9. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Sorry, I though this thread was about something completely different.

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Me too, Granny. Me too.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

So did I, I am holding though.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Wouldn't giving the money back to the school look bad, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted