1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirit Airlines to charge for a boarding pass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Cash on board means more accountability measures to be implemented. It's not that easy for them to handle that money at the end of the day.

And yes, fewer flights, smaller planes mean a mess when the system has a hiccup.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Boston-New York shuttle used to be the primo cash cow of the airline industry. Now I know literally no one who takes it. Young folks take the cheapo express buses, persons willing to spend a little more take Amtrak, and when push comes to shove, I'd drive to NYC and back before flying.
    You're running one hell of a service industry when potential customers prefer the Connecticut Turnpike to what you're sellling.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Another reason why I'm glad I no longer fly.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The shuttle makes money money money hand over fist. It's always full from dc to ny and dc to bos. But the ny to bos? Not so much.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

the airlines and their employees thank you.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They couldn't guarantee he wouldn't have to sit next to a black person.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

or one of those awful gays.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That was crushed.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Too many Flight Attendants with their abominable behaviour may have played a part.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes. And no.

When United's central computer went down on Friday night, in addition to the larger mess, guess who couldn't board their flights? Anyone with their boarding pass on their phone.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The joke is that flight attendants own boats with names like drinks & headphones, because not all the cash found its way to where it belonged.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You sound like you speak from experience. Did you get caught up in it?

Traveling internationally, it always used to help to have a paper ticket if you needed to make any changes.

Airlines worldwide have gotten better with that kind of thing, but yeah, now everyone is so dependable on computers that when they go down we're al fucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted