1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirit Airlines to charge for a boarding pass

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Spirit Airlines - the industry leader in added fees now brings you charging for the boarding pass...

It will be $5 if you want the gate agent to print it for you.
    For now it's still free if you print online or at an airport kiosk. Next summer there will be a $1 fee to print it at an airport kiosk.

However Spirit is lowering fares by $5 to make up the difference.
  2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

$5? That's a bargain compared to Ryanair. It's £40 if you don't print the boarding pass yourself or if you need it printed again.
  3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That's what I was thinking. If you travel the European discount airlines, they charge for almost EVERYTHING. Now the US has its own version.

Most people will bitch and moan about this, but I like the idea. I can't tell you how many times I had to print people's passes after they would lose them. And that stock costs the airlines a lot of money.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bydesign would have made a perfect French waiter.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember flying to Europe in the 1980s on something called People's Express. You had to pay for everything from a pillow to a Coke to meals.

Who knew it was the future of air travel?
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seems to me, there used to be a time that when you considered your travel plans, you might look at flying from say, Boston to Washington D.C. and decide it was worth the extra $200 or $300 to fly because of the convenience, time saved, perks and overall relaxing experience it was to fly compared to driving.

Now, you'd be lucky to save two hours, you have to groped at the airport, you're charged for bags, boarding passes and peanuts, you can't use cash on the plane, you have to deal with rude TSA employees and often flight attendants, hope you don't get stuck on the tarmac and that no one on your plane says "bomb."

And they wonder why they are losing money. ::)
  7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're losing money but I'm rarely on a flight that isn't more than 90 percent full.
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fewer flights.
  9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Which makes it really fun to try to get rebooked if your flight gets canceled. Like, for example, when United's entire computer system crashes for five hours on a Friday night.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've been out of the airline game for a while, and don't fly much anymore.

But my buddy from CO was up recently and I took him to the airport.

He had his boarding pass on his iPhone and said the gate agent could just scan it right off of his phone without him ever having t print it.

That's pretty damn cool.

(And, if everyone knows this, and I sound like George H.W. Bush seeing his first grocery scanner, I apologize.)
  11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I've never understood why you can't use cash for onboard purchases. Wouldn't it be easier to take cash from someone than have to run a credit card?
  12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Ca4h handling is an enourmous pain in the ass. The Flight Attendants need to reconcile it, someone in the waehouse has to verify, you need a secure location to handle, etc. The back end of cash handling is fairly time consuming.
Draft saved Draft deleted