1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

spirit airlines to begin charging for carryon bags

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Coulda fooled me.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have never had luggage not arrive at my destination in about 40 years of flying.
    I no longer carry anything larger than a book or magazine on with me.
    When I flew to Phoenix last December for my nephew's wedding, it took nearly a 1/2 hour to get off the plane because of all the crap people carried on and jammed into the overhead bins...and I got hit by somebody's carry-on three times.
    The 10-mile cab ride from my house to the airport wopuld have cost $45 each way, plus tip. The 4,000+ round trip flight -- non-stop -- cost me $385. And I got a meal on the flight.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Spare me the reason, practicality and logic bullshit. Loading bags isn't rocket science. It shouldn't be that difficult. And it's not most of the time. But some people act like the airlines are doing us a favor by getting our luggage to us.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Neither is spelling.someones name right. But that gets fucked up from time to time. So does baggage. I've been on the ramp too and have seen crazy things happen. It happens. But a full refund? Yeah right

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I assume this is meant to garner a reaction and that you are in reality smarter than this post would indicate.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

No airports/airlines here.

7. Inky_Wretch

When a name is misspelled in a paid obit, it runs again for free. And if lost baggage is so rare, why not offer full refunds as a selling point? Your bags may not fly free, but if we lose them you do.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

If you actually look at the data you would see that the success rate for baggage success is very high.

It is not rocket science but there are a myriad of reasons that bags do not make flights, especially in larger airports.

I don't think anyone is saying that the airline is doing a favor by getting your luggage there, just seems that the anecdotal evidence backs up the data that airlines do a good job moving bags.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I flew lots and lots and lots for lots of years. I have many issues with airlines and customer service and the general attitude that they're doing us a favor. We pay a lot for that "favor."
    But never had a lost bag. I think I had all of three instances of delayed bags, twice because of tight connections and incoming flights running late. Bags were delivered to my hotel or home within hours.

They had it right originally. Charge a fare and include a bag. One. That's fair. Make the fare 10 bucks higher and who notices? Second bags? Charge a small fee. That's also fair.

Something has to be done about carry on. Like Spnited, I've seen way too many people lug bags that no question should be checked and try to shove them into bins, often shoving your stuff around or out or whatever. A purse/briefcase should be about it. Hell, I don't want to lug that shit through the airport anyway.

I go out of my way to avoid flying now. The whole experience sucks, most of it dealing with rude employees and asshole passengers. JetBlue is the only airline I've flown where I've never had an issue of a rude employee.

My bags have never been an issue.

10. Inky_Wretch

I understand that Chet. As I posted earlier, I always check my bag. Always.

That said, on the off-chance by bag goes MIA I would expect a refund of my ticket. If the airline won't give it to me, well, suddenly my bag was filled with very expensive clothes it will have to replace.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It may be a business, but it's a business that insisted it had a right to exist and demanded massive government subsidies in the wake of 9/11.

If you want to act like a big business, then don't come crying for help when your business model fails.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

And unless we actually lose it and you've declared the value before hand you'll get what we give you

Draft saved Draft deleted