1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

spirit airlines to begin charging for carryon bags

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Apr 6, 2010.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Isn't that the airline where carry-ons are banned because there's no overhead compartments and no space under the seats? ;D

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: spirit airlines to begin charging for carryon bags

It's the airline with daily flights out of Kitty Hawk

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Question for frequent travelers. If a carry-on doesn't fit in the overhead for whatever reason is there a penalty? I mean, I know I would have to pay the fee to have the bag checked, but is there an additional fee?

I have a bag that is close to the requirements, but much smaller than the bags most people bring on. Just curious. I don't want to get hit with a $90 oversized bag fee.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

oversize is 65 inches though i could be wrong havent worked the tc in some time

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Different size overheads on different size planes, too. I've had to gate-check bags for flights on Dash 8's and CRJ-200's that fit perfectly fine on a 757 but come nowhere close on the smaller planes.

And there is absolutely no chance that the TSA is doing it, not least because the revenue wouldn't go to the airline. And there again there's the matter of the different size overheads. How's someone at security supposed to know what size plane you're flying on?

Having said that, RyanAir charges at the gate for oversize bags. They just grab people out of the line and charge the card at the desk. But then we have a lot more handheld card scanners on this side. Not sure what they do if you don't have the cash or a card, but I can make an educated guess. But they also put bag sizers at several vital points throughout the process and make it very, very clear that if your bag doesn't fit, it will not, under any circumstance, get on the plane.

Draft saved Draft deleted