1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

spirit airlines to begin charging for carryon bags

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Apr 6, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

They're a low cost carrier with limit routes domestically. I for one am excited to see where this goes. 30 in advance 45 at the door. If it fits under the seat there's no charge.

The release says they will lower fares a bit to balance out the charge. You guys will no doubt cry and moan and suggest what I always here: include it in the fare. We've tried that. It doesn't work. You won't pay. Don't know if the other major carriers will follow but im sure if this is successful at all we will.

Bags are out of control. So are fares. This is awesome!

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Damn you spnited airlines!

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it's bullshit to charge to use the storage bin but not under the seat. Airlines are cramped enough as it is without having to sit for 2-3 hours without being able to stretch your legs out.

It will also be fun to watch flight attendants try to collect money from passengers who are desperately try to jam a bag under their seat but have to end up putting it in the overhead bin. I'm sure THAT little exchange won't result in flight delays.

And as someone who will do anything not to carry on more than one bag I think the first bag should be free.

People like me aren't the problem. I pay my 25-50 bucks to check my suitcase(s). My backpack isn't taking up extra space. Don't charge me again. Nail the clown with the computer bag and rolling suitcase that are both to big to fit under the seat.

That said, it doesn't surprise me an airline is trying this.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, what a logistical nightmare.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hear, not here.

Logistical nightmare for staff who will have to argue with customers about what bag will or will not fit under a seat and will then have to tell customers that they can't put their bag in the overhead if they didn't pay the fee, even if there is room.

I know Ben Baldanza from his time at Continental and U.S. Airways. He thinks he's a revolutionary.

Michael O'Leary (Ryan Air's CEO) has been doing this sort of thing for years -- and he stole his whole business plan from Herb Kelleher (Southwest's founder and former CEO).

Ben's not a revolutionary or a visionary. He's a retread who bounced around the industry for years. He left CO for ethical infractions.

This will be a disaster and if real airlines that want to cater to actual business travelers try this, they'll run off whatever customers they have left.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Yf I'm using a blackberry. Give me a break

And I'm sure that they're going to have some sort of sizing system to tag bags prior to boarding.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fuck Spirit. Their prices suck unless you want to join their $9 fare club.

Southwest blows too. So what bags fly free? Your flight prices blow.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I think airlines lost it when they enlarged the overhead compartments and then allowed any bag that fit up there on the plane. I liked it more when it would fit in front of you, but you could still place it up top. It's just gotten out of control. You could fit dead bodies in some ofthe bags I've seen lugged on a plane, even before checked bags cost extra.

But I don't think it's right to charge for both a checked bad and a large carryon. Something more than a little overnight bag should be included in the price itself, I think.

What happens to passengers in bulkhead?

9. YankeeFan

Spirit doesn't control security, which means people will bring their bag all the way to the gate before they get to a bag sizer.

This means that right before they get on the plane, they're going to have to argue with a gate agent about whether or not it will fit under the seat -- and fork over cash if it's determined it won't.

And you know that people will try to put their "free" bag in the overhead, which means that the flight attendants will now become the "overhead police".

Are they going to have to check that each bag in the overhead has been paid for?

Can I put my winter coat in the overhead if there's room, or does that cost me $45.00?

All of this stuff has been studied before. O'Leary's joked about putting in pay toilets. But this is going to be a pain in the ass to implement and it's going to be a pain in the ass for the staff.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He may not be joking.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ryanairs-83641-pay-as-you-go-toilet-fee-takes-off-2126277.html

Or O'Leary may be grandstanding as usual. Who knows with him and half the BS he spins.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good move. Hope all airlines follow suit. It will prevent Aunt Haddy from taking her steamer trunk on board and looking to the nice gentlemen in seat 4 D to help her clean and jerk it into the overhead.

12. YankeeFan

I wouldn't put it past him.

After 9/11, you pretty much couldn't take a leak on the NY/Bos or NY/DC shuttles because of rules about not getting out of your seat during the first and last 30 minutes of a flight.

The quicker you can turn a plane, the more money you can make. Southwest, Ryan, & others have it down to a science, but it also results in some pretty dirty airplanes sometimes. Some airlines have removed the seat back pockets to prevent you from stuffing your chicken wing bones in there.

The no-frills, pay ala carte for everything, model is fine in Europe where they don't offer any connecting flights, and you're shit out of luck if you miss the flight. If a group of guys are flying off for a stag weekend, their not going to care.

But for a family of four, looking to go to Florida for vacation, they now have to pay extra to check a bag or carry it on. That sucks.

And it's going to be miserable on the staff and make the staff miserable. And a miserable staff treats its customers like shit.

But Ben doesn't care. He figures you'll come crawling back to him if he will save you a penny.

http://www.gadling.com/2007/08/20/spirit-airline-woes-update-ceo-could-care-less/

Draft saved Draft deleted