1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spin Magazine's Top 125 Albums of the Last 25 Years

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

No 2Pac on the list, fuck Spin.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

This list = pure shit. It's basically a music-snob name-drop extravaganza to show people how hip and cool the magazine apparently is. How can these albums be so great or influential if absolutely nobody has heard of either the album or the band?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, it's really not. This isn't a terribly obscure list. If you're that unfamiliar with the artists on the list then you haven't followed alternative music all that closely for the past 25 years.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This has to be the least obscure or pretentious "greatest" list I've ever seen.

I don't know where you've been...

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've heard of most of this stuff, own some of it.

I always get sleepy when talk turns to the Flaming Lips, though.

Pearl Jam's Ten seemed to be placed very low at No. 70.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Rolling up my windows whenever a car pulls up alongside me blasting the stuff.

I'll buy that. But how "alternative" can be it when 97.4% of people on here are VERY familiar with it?

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Love Sign O' the Times. Great, great record that doesn't really fit into everything else I have.

Oddly, I've never owned a U2 album. Not that I dislike them, just don't like them enought to buy an album.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" is the best thing Prince has ever done. The version in the movie with the horns is brilliant. Too bad Prince yanks all clips off YouTube.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, "alternative" is a fairly poor name for a loosely defined genre that basically means "not Whitesnake." U2 fits it, but is one of the best-selling acts in history, so it's hard to say they're an alternative to something.

10. Well, that's just a tag it got stuck with when listening to the Pixies instead of Bon Jovi was still out of the mainstream, and the name stuck, although some now call it modern rock instead to acknowledge the point you raise.

Dooley believes, however, that if "Spin" was truthful, they'd have Miley Cyrus and Nickelback at 1-2.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I can't believe any list of influential albums would have some of the hip-hop stuff that list had (The Carter III) and leave off stuff like All Eyez On Me or Doggystyle. I'm actually shocked the idiots that put it together thought to include The Chronic.

And as good as D'Angelo's Voodoo is, Brown Sugar is one of the best neo-soul albums ever made.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Seriously. Check out pitchfork.com and tell me this list is too obscure.

And agreed that the lack of 2Pac = fail.

Draft saved Draft deleted