1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spicing up NBA All-Star Weekend

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Outside of having professional athletes show off their trap-shooting skills outside strip clubs in Vegas, what events would you watch during NBA All-Star Weekend that they don't have now?

I don't watch much NBA anymore (in fact, I refuse to watch the Knicks ever play again while Isaiah is still in charge ... It's 50/50 whether I come back if Zeke gets canned and Dolan continues his reign of terror), but there are still some fun things they could do.

The one thing I think I'd watch on All-Star Weekend: A one-on-one playground tournament (and I'm praying they don't already do this, that's how much I've watched All-Star Weekend festivities of late).

How awesome would it be to see say, the top 16 players in the league put into brackets and play up to four one-on-one games on an outdoor court. I'm talking chain nets and everything.

Games are to 11 points, all baskets are worth one point. There would be a referee, but he'd "let them play." Wouldn't the players even be jazzed about this? Getting the chance to show off their one-on-one skills against the best players in the NBA?

I think it could make for an outstanding event.

What are your ideas?

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Love the idea, but I doubt they'd play on asphalt.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've always been a big fan of the 3-point contest, so I'd keep that. I'm so-so on the dunk contest, though. Until the great players -- and the great dunkers, especially -- show up, it's pointless to me.

It's not real creative, but I think I'd watch a game of Horse. But there better not be anything else on the tube.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hasn't it been spiced up enough after the last couple of years?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah, but they don't allow cameras in the strip clubs.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Personally, I'd much rather watch 8 hours of "NBA Superstars at Strip Clubs" than 20 minutes of the NBA All-Star Game.

Why? Because New Orleans is heading for trouble with this game. Is the city seriously ready to handle the security issues this weekend's going to bring?

EDIT: Fuck. Mike beat me to it by 40 seconds.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

HORSE would rule. It would probably be better than the Slam Dunk contest because everyone would have to replicate the other guys shot or dunk.

Slap ... hence the disclaimer about pro athletes and their trap-shooting skills, a reference to last year's disaster in Vegas.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's an all-star game. They play ball, little defense and dunk a lot.
    Nothing you can do on the court -- safely. Raising the rim for dunks is a possibility, but a liability.
    And the periphery still needs to be toned down. NOLA had better be equipped for this.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

They could also do an hourlong special titled, "Shit that Dwight Howard can dunk over."

They could bring in buses, two-story buildings, pieces of the New Orleans levees, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted