1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spencer Hall's "Broke"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

People who have are always waiting to be people who have not?

I'm not sure that's really a thing other than by a select few who are insecure about everything.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Simple. Offer them the same scholarships, but allow them to make money off their name, and allow unlimited gifts by boosters.

A booster, as long as they don't represent the school, doesn't have to give a female athlete a car just because he gave one to the quarterback.

That would mean the athletes get the market rate, just like the coaches get. As far as 30 teams being great while the rest aren't, what makes you think that isn't happening now?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's the simplest thing
    there isn't much to it
    all you've gotta do
    is doodle-e-do it
    I like the rest
    but the part
    I like best goes
    doodle-e
    doodle-e-do
    DOOT DOOT!

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, besides the selfishness and greed of the NCAA, coaches and administrators, what is so hard about it?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This strikes me as a little naive. Shit, when they "give" the houses to people on Extreme Makeover, at some point, they gotta take over taxes/payments or sell it.

The last person who personally bankrolled a college program that I'm aware of was DuPont, and he was insane. I just don't think it'd work like this.

More likely, the schools would get a handful of "sponsors" and the players would get a cut of that.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not giving one to the female athlete would make him a bigot, though ...

SpeedTchr and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

The system is fucked up, but so is the notion that these athletes aren't getting anything for their labor. Tell that to someone who graduates with $120,000 in student debt and is forced to live far worse a lifestyle than a college football until they move out of an entry level job. The underlying premise to all of these polemics is that a college degree is worthless to THESE KINDS OF KIDS, which is a kind of fucked up way to think in itself when you actually peel back the layers. The problem is that, in a pay-for-play system, the vast majority of college football players would not command a market rate high enough to pay their way through school. As Alma noted, the first step would be for all the BCS schools to agree to trim rosters from 85 to at least 65, given all the money it would save. Gradually, schools would drop out of D-I as they realized that it simply did not make sense to pay more than the cost of a scholarship for more than X number of players. Does it make sense for Vanderbilt to pay the third-string linebacker more than a scholarship? See ya. Where's Duke's threshold at? Stanford? Like Alma said, eventually you'd have a league of 30-40 schools who could make a legit business out of it. Everybody else would continue to play with all the kids whose market rate is equal to or less than the cost of attendance, which is most of them. Even in The League, I'd be surprised if anybody bid more than the cost of a scholarship for the 53rd man on the roster, since so much of the money would flow to the top 22 players on each team.

I really think everybody drastically overestimates the market value of all college football players outside of the starters in the top 30-40 programs.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you're right with this. On the margin, very, very few players could command the kind of compensation people have in their heads when they look at the total dollars in college football.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, there is no value for most of those players, either, in terms of gifts and endorsements. Offensive tackle Fatty McGee isn't going to sell a single car, his chunky face on a billboard.

The other crazy thing is some of kids who are 5-stars ain't worth a shit. They're just dudes who made the Rivals and Nike camp circuits and worked out nice in tight shorts.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think this is dead-on. The system actually works very well for the vast majority of student athletes, but people want to blow it up because they think Johnny Football was oppressed.

I Should Coco and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Advocating to pay college athletes is the hip thing to be for in sportswriting circles.

TyWebb likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted