1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spencer Hall tackles Dan Wetzel and Sports Is Serious logic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Completely disagree with this.

Dan Pompeii is every bit the expert on the NFL as your surgeon is on your shoulder.

Peter Gammons is every bit the expert on MLB as your surgeon is on your shoulder.

And on and on.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They're experts on the leagues, undoubtedly. They're not experts on the sports for the most part.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wanted to like that column, because as much as I admire Wetzel as a wordsmith and a conscience for various things, he also can be very shrill. There's some pet topics he has where the drum never stops beating and because of that, you almost roll your eyes reading the same indignation over and over again.

But the Hall column was so tortured in its construction, I couldn't even get through it.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also, because Yahoo's "Experts" must be distinguished from Yahoo's "Contributor Network," which is Bleacher Report-esque.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, did you know that Wetzel doesn't like the BCS?

6. joe

joe Active Member

I hear he's an "expert" at not liking it.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Best college football writers in the country? Chris Dufresne is as good as either of these gentlemen...

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Durr. Spencer Hall gotta man up and smell the coffee. Stay classy, dicktard.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've never seen it with Dufresne. Please, link me to something he wrote that touches Wetzel's better columns.

Draft saved Draft deleted