1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spell-check horror #18,441

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 7, 2009.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Softball player named Cox. Playing in City League Invitational Tournament:

Cocks goes deep in CLIT

This spell-check mistake brought to you by the old "Coyote" system that most papers ditched in the early 1990s.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

That's the single most terrifying thing I've heard.

OK, that's hyperbole, but it's definitely the scariest thing I've heard today.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

"Tony Clark led the Vanguards with 15 inches."

And yes, it was the Tony Clark who later played for the Yankees, Diamondbacks, et al.

He was a hell of a basketball player, too.

And, in this instance, so much more.

4. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Way back in the early 1990s, our Seahawks writer did a story on a bad-ass linebacker named Dave Wyman, who was coming off a knee injury. The writer quoted Wyman saying, "... the injury left a bad teste in my mouth." Ya. Bad teste in his mouth. Nice. I was on the desk. Didn't catch it. The next day when the writer went to practice, Wyman's teammates had the quote blown up and circled, and taped to the locker room door. Is that technically my fault????????

5. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Member

Also had the proverbial "red-shit freshman" throwing for 5 TDs a few years back.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Big Buck, any chance Some Guy was a cousin of an XXXXX XXXXX I put in my story a few years back?

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You could ask him, you know.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/members/7728/

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Had a really awful thing happen last week. There was a baseball preview column, filled with batting averages.
    It was like: Johnny Jones hit .288 and Billy Smith batted .326.
    Spellcheck moved the periods to behind the previous word.
    So it read: Johnny Jones hit. 288 and Billy Smith batted. 326.

9. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Holy crap.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Local college had a female track athlete listed has having redshitted in her media guide bio a few years ago.

They didn't reprint the guides.

11. Yeah, when I was covering minor-league hockey, I always made it a point to be VERY careful when typing the words "puck" or "stick."

12. Today's Washington Times referred to Sergei Federov playing for the Red Rings.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted