1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spell-check horror #18,441

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Apr 7, 2009.

1. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE, KIDS.

BYU Student Paper Removed After Caption Error

PROVO, Utah (AP) -- One edition of the Brigham Young University student newspaper has been pulled from newsstands because of a typo in a caption that referred to Mormon leaders as apostates instead of apostles.

An apostate is someone who has abandoned religious faith.

A photo in Monday's Daily Universe showed members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, a governing body of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which owns the university.

The caption called the group the ''Quorum of the Twelve Apostates.''

University spokeswoman Carri Jenkins says it was an honest mistake that happened when an editor was doing a computerized spell check.

Most copies of the press run of 18,000 were picked up. A corrected version was distributed later Monday.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, at least they weren't attending a pubic meeting.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What newspaper hasn't sent a reporter to a pubic meeting?

4. I've referred to "investment bakers" before.

5. jps

jps Active Member

my old college paper once ran a headline telling us that pubic fires were illegal at the lake. frankly, I'd say they are ill-advised just about anywhere.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I once had a girl winning the shit put.

7. jps

jps Active Member

was it a booster club fundraiser or something?

8. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

In my much younger days when I was in high school writing for the local weekly paper, the linotype operator (yep, THAT far back) put a space in the wrong place. Instead of "Jerry Burroughs hit 25 points" the thing read "Jerry Burrough shit 25 points."

Reaction wasn't so bad because the kid played for an out-of-the-area team, but the superintendent of schools found it about the funniest thing he'd ever seen. He asked me, in front of a big group of people to demonstrate how to score 25 points. Old guy was damn near giggling.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had a goalie stopping 14 shits..

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

In my college days, Some Guy scored points once.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

It was a cowchip tossing contest. At least that's what the girl I was writing about told everyone. I was lucky she had a good sense of humor.

12. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

We ran a roundup once that included a brief about a local kid who "shit a solo home run."

Surprisingly, no real complaints from anybody, though a lot of people in the community had a lot of fun with it. One coach said that it's a good thing it wasn't a two- or three-run shit, because that probably would have hurt worse. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted