1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speeding!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I did one of those online traffic schools. Took me four hours to do and the way it was set up was you had like 20 minutes to do each section. If you finished after 10 you could not move on and if you took more than 20 they kicked you out and made you start over.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I drive 80 on the highway, typically, but with the flow of traffic. But it's people like you who, if they blow by me and end up turned over on the side of the road late at night, I'm not stopping to help.

And as for the headlights, there's a reason people are busted for it - because it's hard to judge where you are and how fast you're going. I wish people were caught for this more often.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Call me Wally Cleaver, but I don't get it.

The 6 most common causes of auto accidents, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

1. Distracted drivers.
    2. Fatigued drivers
    3. Drunk drivers.
    4. Speeding.
    5. Aggressive driving.
    6. Weather.

Speeding ranks right behind drunk driving . . . and yet poster after poster proudly proclaims, "I speed my ass off" (or some variation thereof).

Yet if someone posted, "I drink my ass off before I drive" that person would be crucified on here (and justifiably so).

Like I said, I just don't get it.

And it's not like it really gets you anywhere that much quicker.

The other day some assclown comes up on my tail, starts honking, flashing his lights.

I move over one lane. He zooms past, then plays "search for the fast lane" over the next mile or so. Of course, there was no fast lane.

At the next stop light, there he is . . . and I pull up right behind him.

And I honked the horn like crazy. ;D

4. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That's cool. I just think police should do things that I see as more important, like investigating real crime, but to each his own.

5. mb

mb Active Member

One thing I've learned ...

If you have been with your insurance company for more than a few years, it doesn't matter how many tickets/points you rack up -- your rates aren't going to change.

I've been with Allstate for going on 14 years or so now. When I looked into switching to State Farm (to match the home insurance), they quoted me several hundred dollars more than I'm paying now. When I was all WTF?, she gave me that little tidbit. At a certain point, they'll just start reupping you without ever checking your info.

Makes sense, I guess.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, I've been with Esurance for about four years now and I don't think they've ever changed my rates -- and I've had two tickets in that time (one speeding, one for "running" a construction-zone stop sign; stupid octagon was nailed to the top of an orange cone on the side of the road and I never saw the damn thing. Was going about 15 mph, slowed down through the intersection, but had the misfortune of a cop being right behind me. Fuck.)

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have had Esurance for the last year, they dropped my rates 20 bucks a monthe when I did online traffic school, which took two tickets off my record.

8. KG

KG Active Member

I speed much more than I should when traveling back and forth to my mom's, sometimes up to 15-20mph over the limit. I know it's bad, and I shouldn't do it, but I get so bored alone in the car.

I'm ashamed to admit how fast I was going when I hooked up with a couple of cars the last time I was on my way home from Kentucky. I had known we were speeding, but I didn't realize how much until I'd been "drafting" with them for a while. I looked down at the speedometer and quickly backed off.

Around home, just on normal here and there trips, I'd never do more than 10 mph over on the interstate. I usually keep it at five over. I don't speed on the US/State highways or surface streets. If it's morning or afternoon, I'm watching the road like a hawk for school buses. I'm also always on the lookout for random kids or animals running out into the roadway.

As safe as I play it around home, you'd think I wouldn't speed on the way to my mom's.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Depends on the jurisdiction.
    Years ago in a major city, I witnessed a week of traffic court for a project. Nearly every defendant got the fine reduced. No matter how lame the excuse.
    If it's a rural place that needs the revenue from speeding tickets because it has no real tax base, you're screwed. (Although it sounds like your case doesn't fit that description.)
    A few years ago in my medium-sized city of 250K, I got a lawyer and pleaded guilty to "improper equipment" to avoid the certain bump in insurance costs. Didn't have to appear in court or indicate which equipment on my vehicle was improper.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The mixing bowl in Detroit thinks you're all amatuers

Draft saved Draft deleted