1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speeding!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

A fucking headlight. Jesus, do cops have nothing better to do?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Anything mechanically wrong with your car (even a loose license plate) is a free pass for them to pull you over and look inside of your vehicle to see if anything "is in plain view" or if you "are acting suspiciously."

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I had a cop pull me over because the light by the license plate was not working. When he told me I said "Really?" and he had me sitting on the curb cause he said I gave him a sarcastic answer. He then asked me to step out of the car, my first instinct was to say "What happens if I say no?" but I thought better of it, did as I was told and he field tested me.

All the while I was wearing my work uniform, two blocks from work. Who the hell wears a work uniform when they are doing dirt?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The 405 laughs at all of you.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Try having out-of-state plates. Some green cop tried to check something of mine in South Carolina once while in possession of North Carolina plates.

Claimed he couldn't tell whether I was wearing my seat belt. Perhaps the fact that my T-shirt was black, as was the driver's seat and belt played into that.

I wasn't speeding.
    Plates were legal and up-to-date.

Cop, realizing he was losing the battles, went back to his cruiser then suddenly turned back toward my vehicle and tried to bust me for a license. That was good as well.

Pathetic cop. Good for a serious laugh, though. Probably thought he could nail me on something because of the vehicle. Uh ... no, dude. But better luck next time.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Shit. I better change my plates soon, I have been back in Washington for a year and still have my Oregon plates, but I do have a WA license.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I had the same thing happen in Tennessee. He searched my car so thoroughly that when finished, he told me I really needed to replace my air filter.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

The mousetrap in Denver laughs at all of the above.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I got a speeding ticket on the DC beltway years ago. There are two ways to drive on that highway. Either super fucking fast, or start-stop-start-stop all the fucking way around. So getting a speeding ticket on that road is the bullshit of all bullshit.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Honest to God, I think I've received double-digit warnings, but only three tickets, just one in the last 10 years. And I speed my ass off.

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I got pulled over in Winston-Salem a few years ago as I was leaving the arena after a 12-hour day covering the first round of the NCAA tournament. Wanted to get something to eat and head back to my hotel.

Pull out, head toward downtown, which was, ultimately, the wrong way to look for food. I turned into a Church's Chicken, thought better of it, then headed back from whence I came. At that point, a copper got on my ass.

Pulled me over right in front of the arena. I'm driving a brand-new rental with Georgia temp plates. He asks me where I'm going, I tell him looking for someplace to eat, point to the arena and say I've been in there working all day. He asks for my rental papers.

Well, shit. For some reason I took them into the hotel with me the first night. Had nothing. So he asks me, 'Don't you think you look a little suspicious, driving around in a brand-new car with Georgia temp plates?' I'm dressed in khakis, a dress shirt and dress shoes. I have my work bag in the back. I say, 'Um, no?'

So finally he tells me to look in the glove box to see if there's anything worthwhile in there. Lo and behold, there's something with Hertz on it. He takes it, disappears, then comes back with my license and says, 'What are you hungry for, in particular?' I'm like, 'Oh, really anything at this point.'

So he then proceeds to give me directions to McDonald's, which is about a mile past the arena, in the direction I had currently been going, and tells me to have a nice night.

As far as speeding, I got pinched in my home state for some BS a few years ago. Like 19 over. Unmarked trooper who was two lanes over, in FRONT of me. I was driving with the flow of traffic. He somehow picked me out, slowed down, got behind me and pulled me over.

I hired a law firm for $100 so I didn't have to do a damn thing. Got the fine dropped by $100, the points cut in half and the speeding changed into 'driving too slowly/impeding traffic'. Which is exactly what I wanted for insurance purposes.

One of the best investments I've made in the last 10 years.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Can you take one of those online driving tutorials to get no points on your record? These are humanity's worst three hours EVER, but if it's possible that taking this wipes out the points, I'd go this route.

Draft saved Draft deleted