1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speeding!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Apr 3, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ketchup is for winners.

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

That never gets old.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

You're looking at a tough case, BYH. It could go 50/50. The judge will likely consider the fact that you were driving 21 MPH OVER the speed limit, and, in most states, four MPH faster would have had you in handcuffs for reckless endangerment.

Depending on who you get for a judge, they'll take into consideration that it's been several years since you've been ticketed or been in any kind of legal mischief and they'll reduce the charges. I always like to be optimistic in cases like these, but there are a lot of variables the judge will look at when you go to contest the ticket.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well thanks for THAT, Kevin. :D

I'm just glad I didn't slam on the brakes when the copper got on my ass. He was in an unmarked car and I almost slammed the brakes, b/c who likes it when some douche is on your ass? But then I thought better of it and figured I was probably about to get pulled over.

Unfortunately, the guy was not communicative at all. Just came over, told me what he got me for, asked for my license, disappeared, came back and gave me the ticket. Give me a few seconds to chat and maybe I could have won him over with my awesome charm.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Relax, dickhead. The NY-NJ-Pa (and maybe other states) method of handling this is similar and simple. Been there, done this.
    When you get to court, the prosecutor calls each defendant in to a room, one by one, tells you you can challenge this and maybe win, but if you lose you get 6 points, heavy duty insurance surcharges and a substantial fine. Then they tell you they'll knock it down to 59 in a 50, less than 10 miles over the limit. No points, no long-term insurance consequences but they jack up your fine and hit you with an additional $250 "surcharge."
    What you're basically doing is buying out your points.

Mine was for like 72 in a 55, more than 10 less than 20 above the limit. Would have cost me about $280 in fines plus 4 points and $1,000 a year NJ insurance surcharge for 3 years. They knock it down to 64 in a 55, I pay the $280, plus a $250 surcharge and a few other bullshit court costs (local judge's payoff), a little less than $600 total...no points, never reported to DMV, no insurance ramifications.
    And the local town makes a nice profit as well.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Tic Tac, sir?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn, Beej, how come I got hit with a ticket in N.Y. in all of three days, and you went nine years without? ::)

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I have four on my record.

82 in a 55
    67 in a 55
    58 in a 30
    87 in a 65

Yeah, my insurance is sky high. I don't eff around. if I am gonna get caught I make sure I get my money's worth.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sounds like the WKRP episode where they did the on-air drinking experiment and Johnny's reflexes got faster the more he drank.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You really learned your lesson!!

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But the Palisades Parkway is a pretty drive.

I was nailed there as well, and I am 99% sure you are talking about that road.

Pay the man, Shirley.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Is 8 seconds considered a few? :)

Draft saved Draft deleted