1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speeding!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Apr 3, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes, I move fast outside of the bedroom, too. :D I got a speeding ticket tonight as I was driving to see my Dad. Got nailed for 72 in a 50 on a highway near one of the NYC bridges, which is a little concerning b/c according to the fine print on the ticket, 21 mph and over means a six-point hit to your license and some sort of bullshit driver counseling (I suppose yelling in that class "It's not my fault everyone else on the road is a goddamn pussy!!" won't fly).

For obvious reasons, I'll contest the ticket in hopes the cop either doesn't show up or that the fine/license hit is reduced. But it's been nine years since I got a ticket (well, in NY anyway...got one in New England a few years ago that I paid b/c I knew it wouldn't affect my insurance). So I was wondering...when I contest the ticket, what are the odds the judge will reduce the penalty?

I've had mixed luck contesting tickets. The last time I got busted in NY, the cop showed up and was as big a prick as the judge, so I had to pay the whole fucking thing.

The time before that, the cop showed up and my true story for why I was speeding (girlfriend/future wife was in the hospital, I had a doctor's note and everything) earned me sympathy from both the cop and the judge, but not a dismissal of the ticket. Judge knocked it down to the minimum, which I coudln't really complain about except for the inbred hick who was contesting his 110 in a 55 and got away scot-free b/c his cop didn't show up. As the judge wrote out the dismissal form, inbred hick turns around and flashes an arrogant grin at all of us. I cringe to think what that retroactive abortion has done since then.

Anyway...what are your experiences?

2. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I just go and hope the copper doesn't show up. Just like you said. (Plus, let's be honest, sitting in traffic court is high comedy.)

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Let's see, had my license taken away before I graduated high school, had it taken away again when I was 24 for too many points on my record. You probably don't want my advice. I can say that my favorite driver's class was in Florida. Much better than the ones in other states I've had to sit through. No help? Ya, that's what I was going for.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

So this was worse than going 55 in a 54?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Retroactive abortion made me giggle. I've never challenged a ticket, though I did get pulled doing 83 in a 55 once. Cop told me if I'd been going 2 mph faster I'd have gotten reckless. That $340 ticket was pleasant to pay.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

No speeding ticket here. I can only offer this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Did he tell you that he'd see how smart you were when the K-9 comes?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I got pulled over in Tennessee once and got that treatment. Didn't get a ticket, but did have to wait with one cop on the side of the road while the other cop searched my car.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've had no luck with the tickets I've gotten.

One thing I do remember before I got my license after moving here was taking a classroom course in addition to the driving classes I took. (I had solely used public transport before moving to the U.S.)

They had us do an exercise where you put on a pair of 'beer goggles', literally a big pair of goggles that fuzzed up your vision as though you were 'drunk'.

You then had to procede to pick up five sets of keys off the ground. Much hilarity was had as people fumbled around on the ground, really struggling. Then I went and picked them all up in about 20 seconds, dropping the instructor's jaw.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

Did you have a Florida plate at the time? That might explain it, especially in the eastern 2/3 of the state.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Sure did. It was south of Nashville.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Spurrier era?

Draft saved Draft deleted