1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speeding ticket technicality question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zebracoy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't recall the show trying that.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That's not one they talked about with me, but I can't imagine how it would actually work because there are power lines everywhere. Why would they use a radar gun that won't work in the city limits because every street is lined with power lines?

Nevertheless, congrats on getting out of that ticket, I guess.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Only high-voltage power lines affect radar guns.

4. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Surprised at all of the "you deserve it for going 51 in a 25" responses on here. The only 25 mph zones I've ever seen that merited that low of a limit were in neighborhoods. Most of the time, 25 is ridiculously low. Other than neighborhoods and school/hospital zones, nothing needs to be lower than 35. And any limit lower than 65 on a highway is bullshit.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You're guilty and you owe the fine. But like BYH pointed out, if you have the time to go to court, it's always worth a shot to see if the cop doesn't show.

But your address trick defense will get you nowhere.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Get a lawyer to plead it down for you.

Yeah, it might cost you $500 or $1,000 today.

But for 51 in a 25, it might well save you double that in insurance premium increases over the next three to five years.

And besides, in many states, 25 mph over the limit carries a license suspension with it.

Let a pro handle it.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

You don't need a lawyer. Just arrive early and ask to speak to the municipal prosecutor. Tell him/her you'd like to plead it down to a zero point offense. He or she will offer you one. Take it. Then when your case gets called before the judge, he'll see that it's been pled down, listen to the prosecutor, ask if you agree to abide by it, be polite, say yes and you're done.
    Wearing a suit to court works well, since most people just show up in jeans and whatever shirt they happen to be wearing that day. The suit shows some respect for the court.

8. Wrong. Lots of things can.

I had a former cop-turned-attorney tell me recently that if he wanted to make a lot of money he would specialize in radar cases because it's so easy to get out of if you know what you're talking about.

First, you ask for a jury trial (which costs you extra) and then you ask a series of questions about the science of the device that will reveal that most cops don't know what they're doing when it comes to radar other than pointing and clicking.

Cops have to know how to set up the equipment, and many outside of the highway patrol don't have the full training and certification they need. Many do but there are so many things you can use to trip off the officer and raise reasonable doubt - certain buildings, layout of the land, other cars. Many juries, especially if they understand that the cops and judges all receive their paycheck from the same place, just need a little evidence to find you not guilty.

This is all according to the former cop turned attorney. I just took my last ticket and pleaded it down with the officer. It's all a gamut set up to make money.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I've gotten two speeding tickets in the past six months. However, none have been within 500 miles of my house. Makes it hard to go to court.

So I just have to pay them and take the hit, right?

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

If you haven't paid them yet, you might have a pretty warrant out for your arrest, ijag.

I'm going to assume you're smarter than that and either the court date was longer than it's been of you've bad them.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I paid the first one. Just got the second one last week, and haven't been home or called for the total yet.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had an ugly warrant out for my arrest once. Scared the shit out of me!

Draft saved Draft deleted