1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speeding ticket technicality question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zebracoy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No case. Not a chance.

Maybe you get out of this charge on the technicality -- although I doubt it -- but not a minute passes before you'll get hit with a "providing false information to an officer" charge. If the judge knows his shit -- and isn't pissed off by your bullshit defense -- he'll find a way to fine you the exact same amount as you would have paid for the speeding ticket.

That is what is known as a Pyrrhic victory. ;)

Joe's idea is the best I've seen: plead it down to a zero-point offense, pay the fine, go home, slow down.

As for quotas, they do exist. ... BUT ... they don't matter to any police department except in very small municipalities, where a healthy percentage of their revenue (say, 20 percent) is accounted for by those quotas. The South is notorious for these "speed trap" towns, as is Texas. But any town with, say, more than 10,000 people isn't going to have a big, bad quota system, the way some of y'all make it out to be. Traffic ticket/fine revenue just doesn't bring in enough money. And highway patrol/state troopers are NEVER going to have a real quota system.

Sorry. Very, very few cops are pulling you over because they have a quota. They're pulling you over because you're breaking the law -- even if it's by 7 mph over the limit (which is a stupid reason to pull you over, IMO.) But it's more likely that it's a quiet night, or they're in a bad mood, or myriad reasons ... that have nothing to do with quotas.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Red light cameras and the like are the big revenue producers.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I meant among traffic/speeding/etc. violations. I was agreeing with you, even though it might not have been obvious. :)

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

51 in a 25? Wow. I am surprised you didn't get almost charged with reckless endangerment.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've never been told "I'm not obligated" and have requested more than once to be informed of what I allegedly was doing wrong before handing the officer my license.

I know when I'm speeding but I want him to say, "You were speeding" or "You ran that stop sign" so I could at least have an idea of what's coming or offer some kind of defense.

Typically they tell me.

But knowing a few officers and how they operate, a command or request isn't negotiable. They're in charge at that moment. Failing to follow a command or request not only could incite them to throw you to the ground and take your skateboard but also add a "resisting" charge in the most extreme situation.

I agree that with 51 in a 25 mph zone you're lucky to not have a reckless driving or endangerment charge instead of speeding. Your address situation won't mean squat in front of a judge other than to make him mad for taking up time on his court schedule, either.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ahh, gotcha.

Actually, I bet HOV-lane violations -- which carry an automatic minimum $300 fine in California, at least -- make up a nice portion of that, too.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yup. You said you were moving in less than two weeks. That's about how long it'll take for them to send you the paperwork in the mail.

And IJAG is right, too. You were going double the fucking speed limit, so there's no way you can fight this.

8. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Cops don't write speeding tickets and send you on your way, they take notes. When he goes before the judge to testify he will have the details of how you said you were moving. You will lose.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"You see your Honor I tricked the cop. I provided the wrong address and the policeman believed me. The ticket is now wrong so it should be dismissed."

Seems like a rock solid argument>

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I actually believe speeding tickets should be calculated on a percentage basis, rather than an x-over-the-limit system. To me, it's far worse to be doing 40 in a 25 than to be doing 85 in a 70. One is 60 percent over the limit, the other is 21 percent over. But under most laws, they're both charged the same (barring school-zone restrictions, etc.).

So be thankful you don't live in deskslaveistan, zebra. Because your address strategy wouldn't work either.

11. I, unfortunately, have a lot of experience with traffic tickets. If you're not guilty, fight it. Plead it down if you are.

Don't try to outsmart the cops/court. You'll lose, even if you're right.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Go 51 through my 25-mph neighborhood and you'll have a lot more problems than a speeding ticket if I catch up to you. I'm guessing you don't have small children. Pay the ticket and STFU.

Draft saved Draft deleted