1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speeding ticket technicality question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zebracoy, Feb 16, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bullshit that cops don't have quotas.

Ariybd the corner from my office is a four lane city street with about 4 schools within a couple of kilometres of each other.

It's a 40 kph zone (25 mph) --I have no problem with that except when I see the radar out at 5:30 nailing driver after driver for doing 50 in that zone---that's not even 10 mph about the limit.

It's known as the Renforth Cash Cow.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know it may be a fine point of law but when a cop writes a ticket, he has to get the details right: correct name of the person he's charging, make, model and year of car, time of day, place and the correct address of the person he's giving the ticket to.

Sorry, the cop fucked up and any judge will throw it out of court.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Really? 51 in a 25 and you think that's a quota thing??

And since when does the 15th mean the month is coming to an end?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I never said he should pay the fine. I said he should take it to court and since the cop wrote down an incorrect address for the guy, a judge will throw it out.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's not out of the realm of possibility that a cop was writing a ticket just to hit his or her quota.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

In the middle of the month? When someone more than DOUBLED the speed limit?

Set down the pills and alcohol.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's not an incorrect address. It's the address he's moving to. I assume the cop used it so he will get the paperwork in the mail.

Fight it if you want to, but I bet all it does is piss off the judge.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No pills and booze here. Zebra said he didn't think he was going 51. The cop said he was. I'm going to take Zebra at his word that he wasn't going twice the speed limit. If he was, well, he probably deserves the ticket.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He also said it was "entirely possible" he was going 51.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Okay, well, I could be wrong here. It wouldn't be the first time.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Got pulled over the other night going 44 in a 25 mph zone. Cop takes my license, asks where I'm going. "To work." Asks where I work. "The local rag." Pats me on the arm, hands me my license back and tells me to slow down. I resisted the temptation to say "Awesome, dude!"

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just go to court and plead it down to a zero point offense.
    You should be able to do this. Town gets their money from the fine and you get to escape with zero points on your license, meaning no insurance rate increase.

Draft saved Draft deleted