1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Special teams: Has or have?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Oct 14, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Given this context: "Not to mention the special teams, which have produced three scores."

Is it have or has?

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'd say "have" because special teams could include kick return and punt return (as well as extra-point, kickoff and punt teams, but getting a touchdown from those would be a rare occurrence), which means a plural reference.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

From the AP stylebook on "couple," which is often confusing in this same way:

- When used in the sense of two people (or units), the word takes plural verbs and pronouns. "Special teams have ..."

- When used in the sense of a single unit, use a singular verb. "Special teams has"

Now, I don't know if that applies the same way to "special teams" as it does to "couple," but it might. But if it does ... then if you're talking about one special teams unit, like the kick return team, you'd use singular (or "has"). But if you're talking about special teams as a whole, you'd use plural (or "have").

Maybe.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

"Not to mention" ... then don't mention it.

5. azom

azom Member

I think in this case it'd be have. If you're referring to a single unit, why not just refer to the unit?

"The punt team has given up five touchdowns." -- punt team only

"Special teams have given up five touchdowns." -- punt, kickoff, field goal

At least that's how it makes sense to me, but I don't writ English so good.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Makes sense to me.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Knew that was coming.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Ask Emmitt Smith.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Defense has. Offense has. Special teams has.

10. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I write "special teams unit has."

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, sorry, Bucknutty, but a solution that adds a word doesn't do much for me.

And Rhody, can't agree with you, either. Offense is a single thing. Defense is a single thing. Special teams are several things (hence the plural). Kicking and punt teams, kick return and punt return teams, field goal team.

You could go the whole "collective" business, but I think "special teams have" is most intuitive and sounds best. If it's not all of them, then specify which unit of special teams it is and use the singular.

But, like a lot of this stuff, as long as you pick a style and stick with it across the board, that's the key.

Draft saved Draft deleted