1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Special education and school budgets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Interesting story in the WSJ Weekend Edition about how special education services are being cut for students who have different circumstances.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576558730329067142.html?mod=WSJ_WSJ_US_News_6

I liked the fact one school didn't have to pay for a home tutor for a kid who just didn't want to go to school. The hearing officer cited his watching TV and playing basketball as evidence that a disability isn't keeping him from school.

The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome case for the 15-year-old girl mentioned is harder to judge. The school district, and taxpayers, shouldn't keep footing the bill for her tutors when she and her parents keep canceling appointments. There are other options mentioned, including online charter schools, that would seem a better fit. The girl also didn't complete past courses, but wanted to keep moving on to new ones.

There has to be a middle ground between funding everything and the Tea Party supporters saying tough shit.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tough shit. If "you don't wanna pay no taxes for nothin'," then don't pay any taxes for nothin'.

People need to understand when you vote for these fuckers, that's what you get.

I love it when people vote in these teabag lunatics, and when they get in, start whining, "OMG, I didn't know they were going to cut THAAAAT."

Were you not paying no attention during the campaign? They're going to cut EVERYTHING.

They. Don't. Want. To. Pay. No. Taxes. For. Nothin.'

If that's the world you want to live in, pull the lever.

Draft saved Draft deleted