1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of the Expos...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 10, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

'84 Expos were third in the NL in runs scored and third in runs against. It was their misfortune to be in the same division with the team that was fifth in runs scored (12 less than Montreal) and first in runs against (7 less than Montreal).

Looks like it was just plain ole bad luck -- 26-34 in one-run games. Cards went 35-22 in one-run games. Expos even went 10-8 against St. Louis. They were two games out on Sept. 15, then lost five straight against the awful Cubs and Mets. Cards won six in a row from 9/17 - 9/20.

God hates Canadian sports.

EDIT: '82 Expos I mean.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But that's assuming guys are high -- or wired, or whatever -- during the game.

I'd imagine that most of the partying would be after the game.

With it's schedule of games nearly every day, I'd think that long term coke use - and the lack of sleep -- would get to baseball players.

There's also usually a lot of alcohol involved with coke.

Obviously, if a guy is a real coke head, there's not a lot of discipline involved, but I'd think you could use it as an NBA player without it affecting your play more than if you're an MLB player.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

On the other hand, as I was typing my previous post, I recalled the people I knew who used to to coke.

They wanted to do it all the time.

So yeah, the players probably were wired while they were playing.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

But not as much as god hates Cleveland sports.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Lived in STL in 1982 and, even as a boy, remember the pennant race very clearly.

The Cardinals had Bruce Sutter (in his prime) that year -- there is your one-run differential.

St. Louis also had one of the most definitive home-field advantages in the NL. All of the speed in Busch Stadium II. Not much power but they had "gap hitters" who would groove triples to right center field.

Even with the threats of Dawson, Oliver, etc. on the Expos... the Cardinals never seemed to get spooked when playing Montreal that year. In fact, in 1982, they clinched the East AT Montreal.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Those are good points about the other teams being on drugs, too. Never thought of it.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sutter wasn't any better than Jeff Reardon.

Sutter: 102.1 IP, 88 H, 33 ER, 61/34 K/BB, 1.192 WHIP, 2.90 ERA, 9-8 record, 36 saves, 58 games finished
    Reardon: 109 IP, 87 H, 25 ER, 86/36 K/BB, 1.128 WHIP, 2.06 ERA, 7-4 record, 26 saves, 53 games finished

It just came down to bad luck for the Expos.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Herzog essentially said that when he took over the Cards in 1980, he was scared to be in the clubhouse. The Cards, Pirates (with Parker) and the Royals were the teams with the big-time druggie reps at that time.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Cocaine didn't seem to bother the 1986 Mets.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yes, the irony is that Herzog's very vocal distaste for illegal drugs bloomed like crabgrass in Kansas City after he was fired in 1979. Porter was spending thousands of dollars a month on cocaine in 1977-79 even as he was Herzog's All-Star level catcher.

So much so that Herzog wanted Porter to come over to St. Louis in 1981.

Back in Kansas City, the 1980 Royals had more drug problems and, by 1983, about half the team was suspected and four were even arrested and suspended after the FBI investigation.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Drugs were all over in every sport (except, maybe, the NHL...I can't remember any serious drug problems in hockey. Pelle Linburgh was drunk, not high, right?) The Cleveland Browns made a big deal about their "Inner Circle" drug program, which half the team was in. How long has MLB had a problem with amphetamines? I read Brosnan's "THe Long Season" and Bouton's "Ball Four" back to back. Either Brosnan inored the "greenies" or they were not around back then. Back in the 50's it seemed like the players liked the sauce more than anything.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The Rangers had a coke problem in the late 1970s and for some reason, and I may be way off, I remember cocaine being part of the Leafs locker room in the mid-1980s.

Draft saved Draft deleted