1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of the Expos...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Rick Monday. 1981.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Some candidates, in chronological order: the 1906 Chicago Cubs, the 1954 Cleveland Indians, the 1971 Baltimore Orioles and the 2001 Seattle Mariners.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Naw, Seattle overachieved to win 116 games (or whatever the final number was). Then reality set in. I think they nearly got beat by Cleveland in the first round, if memory serves correctly. They were good, but not great like the 1998 Yankees.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of the Expos, tonight the Washington Nationals are honoring Andre Dawson, and to a lesser extent, Gary Carter. Seems weird that the team is suddenly trying to embrace its past with Montreal after so much effort was made to tie them to Walter Johnson and Frank Howard and the like.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They didn't overachieve horribly -- 109 pythagorean wins. They had a winning record against every team they played that year. But playing an unbalanced schedule in a very weak AL West that year and going a combined 30-9 against the Rangers and Angels didn't hurt.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Montreal 74-40 .649 ----
    Atlanta 68-46 .596 6.0
    NY Mets 55-58 .487 18.5
    Philadelphia 54-61 .470 20.5
    Florida 51-64 .443 23.5

D'oh!

Even better "final" standings from that season came from both West Divisions:

LA Dodgers 58-56 .509 ----
    San Francisco 55-60 .478 3.5
    Colorado 53-64 .453 6.5
    San Diego 47-70 .402 12.5

Texas 52-62 .456 ---- :eek:
    Oakland 51-63 .447 1.0
    Seattle 49-63 .438 2.0
    California 47-68 .409 5.5

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dick Willliams also said in his book that he knew players on the team were doing drugs. He even told the story of him walking into the bathroom and finding a player snorting a line.

And to the subject of '94, that was the first year of the three-division format, and I remember a lot of people criticizing Selig for switching from the two divisions, and citing the AL West as the main reason. There was major concern, prior to the strike, of a losing team making the playoffs, which had never happened in the two-division format.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The late 1940s Red Sox never showed a lot for all of their hitting talent. Williams, Jensen, Dimaggio, Stephens, Pesky and Doerr combined for one pennant and a lot of second place finishes.

Also was Montreal a hitter's park? I ask because that was a knock on the late 1940s Sox is that they put up great number, but it was somewhat of an illusion because of the park.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they didn't show a lot. They lost a one-game playoff to Cleveland for the pennant in '48 and by one game for the pennant to the Yankees in '49. ] I'd say they showed plenty, they just came up short.

10. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

The Big O was generally a pitcher's park (that place was a cavern) although baseball-reference rates it as a slight hitter's park that year.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

True. But their talent (hitting wise) was amazing.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the effect of drugs in MLB in 1982-84. Until the Pittsburgh Drug Trials in 1985... it was brewing in the game in nearly every clubhouse.

The '82 Expos probably had major drug problems but look at the NL East (and World Series) champions, the 1982 Cardinals. They had Keith Hernandez, Lonnie Smith, Joaquin Andujar and Darrell Porter -- ALL of whom had a major, positive role in the title run. Maybe their drugs were just better than the Expos.

In the NBA, I think the cokehead days of the early 1980s had a major negative effect on half the teams. In baseball, I'm not so sure if the effects were that atrocious -- baseball is a different sport that doesn't require the same long-term "concentration" of the NBA. In baseball, you only need to concentrate a handful of times.

Draft saved Draft deleted