1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of polls...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 30, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Opposition to the Tea Party has risen significantly ... especially in districts represented by a member of the Tea Party Caucus:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/us/politics/tea-party-support-falls-even-in-strongholds-survey-finds.html?_r=1&smid=fb-share

I've said before that, while I agree with a lot of what the Tea Party stands for, their philosophy would not be conducive to actually governing right now. It appears more people agree since they took the House. What worries me is that, as Tea Party support falls, it drags down the entire GOP with it, illustrating that to a vast majority of people, Tea Party = Republican Party, which is not really the case.

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

The problem, MC, is that as long as the Tea Party is able to hold the party as a whole hostage, it is the Republican Party.

Until Boehner et al. are ready to say, "Fine. Hold your breath until your face turns blue.", there is no other Republican party with any power.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's too late. The "reasonable wing" was in tatters after the bludgeoning in 2008, and the Tea Party stepped in to fill the void -- not just with candidates, but with money (hello, Koch brothers!). Any electoral success Republicans have had has been nearly wholly dependent on the Tea Party. The only way the Tea Party goes away is if it gets destroyed at the polls -- more than once.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Tea Party wing IS the reasonable wing of the party.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I propose a motion that old_tony be made spokesman for the SportsJournalists.com Republican Party.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If the Tea Party is so powerful, how come the two most moderate of the republican presidential candidates are leading most polls?

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Newt is a moderate? Holy fucking shit, how far to the right has the GOP gone?

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The Tea Party reminds me of the old P.J. O'Rourke line: "The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."

They complained about how incompetent government was, then they got elected and proved it.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

At the start of this year's legislative term in Arizona, the state senate president gleefully announced that it was the "Tea Party legislature!"

Earlier this month he became the first senate president kicked out of office through a recall in US history.

Draft saved Draft deleted