1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking of New York

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone ever stayed at The Barclay at 48th and Lexington?
    It looks really nice and it is usually way more expensive than our usual haunt - but it is running some kind of special and is pretty cheap for when The Queen and I want to go.
    We hate breaking up routines.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've stayed across the street.

The rest of the place isn't as gorgeous as the lobby, but it'll do.

And some kickass restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Don't know about the hotel, but the 'hood is stellar.

4. Moderator1

Names, please.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's not my usual neighborhood, but Ribot (48th and 3rd) is a delight . . .
    good service without being kissass, reasonable wines, not too crowded, and
    terrific outdoor seating for when the weather warms.

And Smith and Wollensky's a block north of there.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Used to stay there all the time. At a previous job, we had negotiated a great rate.

It’s part of the InterContinental chain.

It’s a nice place: great location, beautiful lobby – always a huge floral arrangement – and the rooms are nice.

It’s not the kind of place I would spend big bucks at too stay there rather than a garden variety Hilton, Sheraton, etc., but if you’re getting a good rate, you’ll have no complaints about staying there.

My only other word of advice is to not drink at the bar or order room service. The convenience is not worth the price and you’ll blow any savings you achieved on the price of the room.

7. lono

lono Active Member

Murphy's at 50th and Second is an excellent Irish pub. I recommend the blue cheese burgers.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Haven't lived around there in a decade, but Manchester Pub on 48th and 2nd was a great little space. Divine Bar on 51st between 2nd and 3rd was a cool place.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is that the hotel of choice for teams in the NIT Final Four?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

A crane fell a bunch of stories today at 51st and Second, killing four. It destroyed some restaurant.

11. Moderator1

If it destroys Tony's, The Queen won't want to go back.

We usually kill points and stay at a Crowne Plaza but no point stays are available when we want to go and the regular rates are ginormous. I smell a convention. So I figured we'd try something new. The Barclay is normally 15,000 points a night more than the CP but the rates for the time period are very good for NY - about 150 a night cheaper than the CP.

Little longer walk to the theaters but what the hell? I just don't want to stay in some dump. The Queen doesn't do well in dumps, even though she married one.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Destroyed Fubar:

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/crane-collapse-kills-4-in-new-york-city/20080315162309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Draft saved Draft deleted